Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: laser color by nm overview

Quote Originally Posted by michelrietveld View Post
    Hi, what are the typical wavelengths used for an RGB laser projector?
    common laser wavelengths for DPSS/diode lasers used in projectors are as follows

405nm - diode - violet
    445nm - diode - deep blue
    457nm - dpss - blue
    473nm - dpss - blue
    532nm - dpss - green
    635nm - diode - orange/red
    642nm - diode - bright red
    650nm - diode - red
    660nm - diode - deep red
    671nm - dpss - really deep red

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    WhiteLight is the resident expert on Chroma, perhaps he could step in and offer some advice
    Do I detect a slight dig in there Jem? Yes I do tend to put a lot of store in Chroma but only as a guide. Its better than simply guessing powers. I also tend to post a lot on here including quite a bit on Chroma but thats more through being at home bored through not working and thus around the forums a lot more than for any other reason, expert I'm not, certainly compared to most people on here.

It has been shown that there's some leeway for white balance far beyond what appears to be perfect white in the Chroma plot. But then again "Pure" white is subjective and often has a less than perfect balance of colour. eg most people would say HID headlights were pure white light and yet they in actual fact contain quite a blue element. Natural daylight which is of course also white light, is far more yellowy. So there is a lot of leeway with white both in chroma plots and in personal preference.

However, Chroma has its uses as a guide and its also useful in my opinion for its luminosity values to give you some idea of the relative brightness of colours or combinations.

I simply tend to work on some simple ratios

Most people these days will be using 445 and 532 for blue and green so red is the only variable that might change.

For balance, equal parts of green and blue are about right, but you may want more blue for stronger visible beams. It is quite easy to add a blue tinge to everything with just a bit too much 445 however - shockingly easy in fact - I was surprised how 445 can be so dominant.

Then for red, you have 635, 640 or 660 usually.

With 640 I'd use a ratio of 1 to 1.5 parts, and 650 2.5 to 4 parts. Beam specs play a larger part in how effective these mix to a good white than power unsurprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Do I detect a slight dig in there Jem?
    HaHa... Sorry Al, couldn't resist. Seriously though, I reckon you have more experience with the program than most here. So, despite the hint of sarcasm, it was good advice.

My next step would have been to have suggested contacting Rob or Dan as I know they love Chroma too

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

My next step would have been to have suggested contacting Rob or Dan as I know they love Chroma too
    JEM!

Please step away from your shed.
    I need you to hand me your laser licence.

You now have 6 points on it, and a £60 penalty charge.

1 more slip up like that and I will have to revoke said licence...

Re: C***ma
    There is a lot to be learnt from doing things quantitatively, or mathematically.
    In *most* areas this is brilliant.
    Colour balance is *not* one of them.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

HaHa....

Isn't it funny how such simple things can make you laugh out loud. The old chuckle muscles haven't had such good exercising for quite some time

We just need Rob to chime in now

Apologies to those who fail to see what's so funny, it's just a bit of an 'inside' joke that's all.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

HaHa... Sorry Al, couldn't resist.
    I probably deserve the odd dig as I post way too much above my pay grade. Like I said, boredom.

Don't take it to heart Al, it's not just you, it's the whole Ch...a thing that just suddenly became funny for no apparent reason. It's a great bit of software and as Dan says, it has its uses.

I now know what Ernest Scribbler, the writer of the funniest joke in the world wrote... It was just the one word. It started with 'C' and ended with 'a'. I daren't write it just in case I start laughing again and it becomes terminal. Look at what happened to poor old Ernest last time he wrote it down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM

Trust me, this thing is lethal

Don't worry I'm not offended, I'm fairly thick skinned.

...and at the end of the day everyone's entitled to have their own opinion on Chroma, love it or hate it. Dan hates it, I think its very useful as a guide but not as a bible.

Good job Joke warfare was banned at the special sitting of the Geneva Convention.
    Last edited by White-Light; 11-20-2010 at 05:33.

El Paso, Texas USA and Juarez,Chihuahua Mexico

Ernest Scribbler cracking me up....nice Jem...love Monty P. ~jimmy
    Wiki:The first visible wavelength laser diode was demonstrated by Nick Holonyak, Jr. in 1962.

FS: hi grade SEAL DUST