Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop PC "do over" - Win XP, or Win 7

I appreciate all the feedback!

I'm thinking I'll keep the XP Pro partition, kill the seldom-used Vista partition, and bump that one to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

THAT should keep things nice and confusing...
    Last edited by Stuka; 11-20-2010 at 14:33.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    kill the seldom-used Vista partiition
    i think most will agree on this one!!

Will Pango run on 64 bit?

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    Will Pango run on 64 bit?
    Yes, I used Quickshow on 64 bit Win7 and it worked great.

I also used QM2000.net on 64 bit Win 7 and it worked as well. Although now I'm having an issue connecting back the QM2000.net . I did call pangolin about it and they said they use Win 7 all day long and it works for them.

My opinion is that Windows XP is the single best piece of software Microsoft ever put out in their entire history. Since then, it's like all of the smart guys left the company... VISTA was an absolute disaster, with many things broken. Windows 7 is a step back in the right direction, but not enough steps. Some things are still broken in Windows 7, including networking.

If you want to use a QM2000.NET with Windows 7, please contact us as we have a patch for Windows 7 that you must run...

Best regards,

William Benner

@Randy-

2 words...

Dual Boot! Definitely do an XP partition and a Win 7 partition. XP is still great for some older stuff and some programs just work flawlessly in XP still.

Win 7, IMO- is pretty rock solid once you get your head aorund it. The networking is pretty good, *ONCE* you go through the 500 steps to network (properly network, not just their stupid homegroup crap). And you need 64 bit to get above the +4GB ram limit.

I would suggest dual hard drives. again, just my opinion. 1 drive for XP 1 for Win7. Hard drives are nickel/dime now. 500GB SATA drive will cost ya maybe $75.

@Karl-

careful with the backwardness to XP with a dell. I went through the same fiasco about a year ago. Do you mean installing *just* an XP op system? or running an XP shell inside of Win7? if you plan on running the WinXP *inside* of the Win7 op system, the computer *HAS TO* have "Hardware Virtualization" capability built into the processor. It is not a software issue. It needs to be built into the actual process and enabled in the BIOS.

Check the processor and see if it has this feature. If it doesnt, it will not run Win XP compatibility.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    @Randy-

2 words...

Dual Boot!
    I could never get win 7 to Connect to the qm2000.net for 2 weeks (it only worked 3 times out of 1000) so I finally just installed a dual boot to have xp on there too. ( I think it was a glitch in my win 7 because no one else has experienced this issue or could figure it out).

It's actually pretty easy to break the win 7 partition into parts and add a win xp installation right next to it. There's a really good guide in the seven forums.

You have not posted your hardware configuration. This will determine if Win 7 is suitable.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers
    if you plan on running the WinXP *inside* of the Win7 op system, the computer *HAS TO* have "Hardware Virtualization" capability built into the processor. It is not a software issue. It needs to be built into the actual process and enabled in the BIOS.
    Not correct, with VirtualBox or VMware you can run any OS in any OS even without this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin
    My opinion is that Windows XP is the single best piece of software Microsoft ever put out in their entire history. Since then, it's like all of the smart guys left the company... VISTA was an absolute disaster, with many things broken. Windows 7 is a step back in the right direction, but not enough steps. Some things are still broken in Windows 7, including networking.
    You are so absolutely right!

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    My opinion is that Windows XP is the single best piece of software Microsoft ever put out in their entire history. Since then, it's like all of the smart guys left the company...
    And that is exactly what happened.

The other benefit of XP is it's maturity. It's more mature than a piece of moldy cheese.

I think MSDOS 3.3, 5 etc where reliable and bullet proof. Shame you couldn't do shit with a PC running it though lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by decix View Post
    Not correct, with VirtualBox or VMware you can run any OS in any OS even without this feature.

You are so absolutely right!
    And also with Sun (Oracle) VirtualBox. Although with the right CPU, virtualisation is much faster. I feel 64bit hosts are a must for virtualisation, as 3GB RAM is a little shy.
    This space for rent.