Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desktop PC "do over" - Win XP, or Win 7

You guys can't be serious.. You are recommending XP over W7 to a media editor and gamer? You can't use more than about 2 GB RAM (depending on your video card) on a 32-bit machine and directx 10 or 11 won't work. Sure, there are a few compability issues (haven't seen any after 2 years myself though), but W7 even has a "XP-mode" meant for just this purpose that will fix that right away.

To everyone saying "why reinvent the wheel" etc. etc., you might as well recommend him this cellphone:

or this car:

A 64-bit OS is an absolute must if you want a modern and future proof machine. I would even gladly pick Vista 64-bit over XP.

W7 X64 works fine.
    The only W7 problem i found that can occur in rare occasions, can be solved by a small fix. (MS has broken something, and they even have no solution for the problem)

For live(Pro) performance, i still use XP. (Why change a winning team?)
    This is a separate machine for stage work which came with vista.

I'm running 3 machines on 7-64 now; an i3 laptop that boots in about 15 seconds hasn't crashed once in 6 months, runs HD video editing software quicker than my old XP Pro AMD FX62 desktop could dream about. My new desktops are running 64 Ultimate, i7 CPUs and 6gigs of fast ram and raid 0 SSD drives; the only bug I've had (with all of them) is thumbnails not working for pdf files, this was fixed with a free patch.

Next on the hit list is the Media Center in the living room, I had to install Shitsta on that to enable Bluray support - Win7 64 will be installed soon.

The only use my XP machine gets now is as a network drive as I haven't copied all of my old media files over. Time to buy a NAS and donate the old machine to friend (though compairing it to these new i7 machines; maybe a museum).

As for dual booting; I would agree with seperate hard drives as Win7 uses AHCI access and XP or Vista don't, it seems silly to install new tech and run it on an old system (that's if your BIOS supports it).

Microsoft really destroyed everybody's confidence with Vista, I believe Win7 will change that given time.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Next on the hit list is the Media Center in the living room, I had to install Shitsta on that to enable Bluray support - Win7 64 will be installed soon.
    Installing a version of powerdvd with bluray support will also do the trick.
    The decoder of powerdvd is a lot better than the one ms uses.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'm in agreement with Marc and others who suggest dual booting XP Pro and 7. My primary laptop is set up with a dual boot of Vista (yeah..I know...but it's what came on the laptop new) and 7. As for my other two laptops, and both of my desktops, they're all still XP Pro but, I'm probably going to add Windows 7 to the primary desktop in a separate partition fairly soon. I've been very pleased with 7 to this point. (Haven't had to deal with any networking issues but, it's been rock solid for everything else.)

The other two XP laptops are strictly dedicated to running laser software - one has the LD2000 in a docking station and the other is for Moncha 2.1. That's all I do with them. When my Quickshow FINALLY gets here, I'll probably run that on my primary laptop in Windows 7 and not get a separate dedicated laptop just for it. Lugging three around is a pain after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Moncha
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    When my Quickshow FINALLY gets here, I'll probably run that on my primary laptop in Windows 7 and not get a separate dedicated laptop just for it. Lugging three around is a pain after awhile.
    QS runs without any problem on windows 7 (as far as i know of) i even have a machine which has qs, ld2000 and livepro, all on windows 7, running without problems.