Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nichia soon to release 460nm diodes and DI green diodes

Default Nichia soon to release 460nm diodes and DI green diodes

Aijii would be the better person to speak about this, but they will soon have a brighter shade of blue and Green Direct injection diodes..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

They have been inside Coherent products for at least 2 years, I assume they were made by Nichiea.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

which coherent products are you speaking of ?

I met with Tonto from Nichia last Thursday - he mentioned that a 460nm, 1 Watt diode source will be available within the next 6 months, similar price point to the 445nm diodes (ie, 3000-4000 per unit in sample/single quantities).

Also said they have green direct injection diodes working at low powers (50mw), 510nm, but i think thats old news now already.

510nm. yummy.
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

similar price point to the 445nm diodes (ie, 3000-4000 per unit in sample/single quantities)
    So not £40 then?

Perhaps Casio might do us a favour and use them in a higher powered version of their A series projectors by using a brighter (to the eye) blue source!

This is great news. I know McCarrot places great store by 457nm. I'm presuming 460nm might be similar, dark in colour but bright in luminosity.

As for 510nm, never seen it but if they can get the powers up, then it could be RGB just got a whole lot cheaper once again.

We just need cheap high power 640's now.

This is great news. I know McCarrot places great store by 457nm. I'm presuming 460nm might be similar, dark in colour but bright in luminosity.

As for 510nm, never seen it but if they can get the powers up, then it could be RGB just got a whole lot cheaper once again
    I'm confused how this is great news at 3-4k (USD I'm presuming) each

532nm is cheap anyway, relatively

460nm appears ~40% brighter than 445nm.

As for 510nm, never seen it
    You might have seen it as the green in a CVL (511nm).
    514 of argon is pretty close too !

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I'm confused how this is great news at 3-4k (USD I'm presuming) each

532nm is cheap anyway, relatively
    right which is the same price as our $40 445 diodes

if we get another projector with a bunch of these in there... could you imagine? 510 and 460 high power diodes for peanuts?

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    right which is the same price as our $40 445 diodes

if we get another projector with a bunch of these in there... could you imagine? 510 and 460 high power diodes for peanuts?
    Exactly I think that going to be what makes or breaks it, whether or not some large manufacturer finds a use for them and buys in such bulk that it drives the price right down.

There is of course 1 other assumption here and that is that the beam spec will be good.

I also wonder if Nichia themselves aren't missing a sales trick here and thats by selling them cheap in small quantities direct. If I was an CEO and I'd seen the demand for 445 amongst lasers builders, literally thousands of diodes per year, then I'd be trying to tap that market.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    460nm is the wavelength that the blue Coherent OPS Lasers use... Lovely colour, I have heard it referred to as true blue... It would be a real result if these start getting mass produced with nice (or tameable) beam specs... Not holding my breath though...

The 510nm would make a nice addition to a 532nm green, but in terms of brightness i would say 532nm is the winner. I remember when 532's first hit the market, they were touted as being two to three times as visible as Argon's 514nm. The peak of the human eye is around 550nm from memory, so 510nm is not going to appear as bright as 532nm, but would make a nice companion to maybe open the colour palette up a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    I also wonder if Nichia themselves aren't missing a sales trick here and thats by selling them cheap in small quantities direct. If I was an CEO and I'd seen the demand for 445 amongst lasers builders, literally thousands of diodes per year, then I'd be trying to tap that market.
    I think what the lasershow industry would buy in a year doesn't come even close to what Casio may buy in a month. The lasershow industry is a very small niche industry and big companies like Nichia probably don't see much value in our little community.

Plus the likes of rediculously overpowered pointers of course, I would guess Nichia doesn't want to get involved and have their name tarred as soon as someone has a nasty pointer related accident which is only a matter of time...

Just my 2p

Mark
    Last edited by Insanity; 11-22-2010 at 08:41.