Thread: 1W red 560 BIG drop in power

Default 1W red 560 BIG drop in power

Hi guys.

1st of all, I'm quite new to the laser scene and I'm looking for help.

I suspect I've got a problem with 1 of my 1W red 650 diodes, the red was very bright and recently, the brightness/power of the diode has dropped quite significantly I've looked at the diode module and I've noticed that the aperture of the diode doesn't look right - there appears to be a single red line running horizontally. At 1st the diodes aperture was fully lit hence had full power. I've checked the IC board and that appears to be OK. I'm just wondering whether there's any issues with the IC board or other problem? Maybe it could do with re-tuning, if it does require a re-tuning, how is this achieved?

Sorry if these sound like lame questions, but like I said, I'm quite new to lasers and I'd be extremely grateful for any help

Thanks in advance.

Neil.

Doesn't sound good. Can you post a picture of the unit - preferably one that shows this line you're talking about?

It could be that the unit has shifted internally, and the diode is no longer aligned with the output lens. If so, that might be an easy fix. But again, pictures would help a lot.

Adam

Here is a few pictures, my camera isn't that good.

Now I dont think the alignments are wrong, I just see a red horizontal laser line in the actual diode itself, not along the mirror.

See what you think, oh and it's a CNI diode.

Thanks very much.

Neil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image000.jpg  

Image000_1.jpg  

Image000_2.jpg  

Image000_3.jpg  

Possibly the FAC lens has become detached?
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Possibly the FAC lens has become detached?
    I'm not sure what the FAC lens is. Is that a screw on cap that screws onto the front of the diode itself? I've noticed there's a screw on cap on the front of the green diode, is this a FAC lens? If it is, I don't see a FAC lens screwed onto the red diode.

Neil.

CNI red modules are super primitive inside. Only thing that they can have is a prism pair and a lens. Thats it. Did you unplugged and plugged back 9 pin connector while laser was on. If so you toasted it. I did it a few years back by mistake and my laser dropped in power about 80%. It was producing only a line not a square. My diagnose: Module is dead. It need a new diode.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    CNI red modules are super primitive inside. Only thing that they can have is a prism pair and a lens. Thats it. Did you unplugged and plugged back 9 pin connector while laser was on. If so you toasted it. I did it a few years back by mistake and my laser dropped in power about 80%. It was producing only a line not a square. My diagnose: Module is dead. It need a new diode.
    Thanks for the heads up Doc. It sound's like the diode has had it. I do remember un-plugging and plugging the red back into the IC board whilst the laser was turned on And like you said Doc, I'm just getting a red horizontal red laser line accross the lens.

I'm glad I havn't fried the very expensive blue and green! Lucky in that sense.

Thanks to everyone for the head's up

Neil.

If you module is under warranty. Send it back. CNI will replace it without any questions.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!