Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie!!!!!!

we can meet at Las Vegas one year ?

that will be fun..

just start saving money now...

go out and do some public show and earn some money

->"go out and do some public show and earn some money"

Eh... I need to get a projector working first! Then I would need a CDRH variance, and the time to actually set up gigs.

Nah - I don't see me being able to go commercial for a long time yet, if ever. (Though it sure would be nice!) I love the idea of making a living doing laser shows, but from what I've seen, the economics just aren't there unless you live in (or near) a *HUGE* city...

Default show and tell

Nice to find another East coast resident , no offence to all the other fine people here. I would love to be able to have a laser picnic somewhere.I have plenty of things to take up atleast an hour in a small room.... My projector is very low powered. Does well in a small setting like a meeting room or gym at night and low lights...school size. Doesn't do too bad at night outdoors...natural fog beamshows. I have gotten rid of most of all the tube stuff and cut down to a few dpss parts and redundant parts for this unit. With the laptop and a voltage inverter I can be totally portable in full color.....even at a remote campsite. Maybe take a real poll and see who can attend and then investigate the point of collimation. Columbia,Charlotte,Atlanta,??? Need to figure out how to be fair to all. Laser fest and trade show? Could have potential.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Well, just off the top of my head, I'm good for as far South as Jacksonville,FL; as far North as Charlotte, NC; and as far West as Augusta, GA.

In practice I'd probably drive further than that even, but those three destinations are all about the same driving time from Charleston, SC.

Rent a conference room in a hotel somewhere (No windows!) and spend the day geeking out with other laser enthusiasts... I like it!

I have in-laws in Atlanta, plus it is a big city and Delta hub (are they still in business?) meaning cheap flights. I would drive down in our RV. Depending on dates that work for everyone (I have school age kids) the summer months work better for me.

Bieng the newest nubie around, it is hard to tell how much I could contribute, but it would certantly be nice picking all your brains.

Hey, newbie or pro, it's all good in my book. (I consider myself to be a newbie when it comes to all things closed-loop.)

You've got a good point about Atlanta being a hub for Delta => cheap flights. Charlotte, NC would be another good location for the same reason. (Except it's US Air, not Delta. Maybe United too - not sure about that.)

On the other hand, there's no way I'm getting on a plane with my Argon lasers... Granted, they're small by most standards, but they're just as fragile as the big boys. (No flight cases yet!) But I don't mind driving to Atlanta instead of flying...

I agree with the Summer months being the better choice. I've got one son in College, and another in High School, but still - Summer is more relaxed. (Besides, my kids like lasers too!)

So, we've got Marconi and Astroguy in Florida... We've got Spec in Atlanta, Georgia... I'm in Charleston, SC... Elgordito, you're in Virginia... What about
    you there, MechEng3? Where are you located? (And how far would you be willing to drive/fly?)

Anyone else on the East coast?

Default count me in

I am about 40 minutes north of Charlotte. Sounds like a good thing is in the works !
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

MechEng3:

Great! So you're not that far either. OK, that's 6 people so far, scattered from Florida to Virginia... In my book that's enough to begin planning the event. Though it would be great to have more people, I think 6 different laserists might make for quite an interesting gathering. (And who knows how many others might show up...)

So, now we really need to start thinking about WHERE we should meet. I think Astroguy is the one furthest South (somewhere around West Palm beach, Florida I think), and Elgordito is furthest North (in Virginia), so the two of them ought to have a pretty large input on where we do this. (They'll have the furthest to travel...)

How about it? Got any suggestions guys?

FWIW: I have set up a "frappr" to find out where everyone is.

http://www.frappr.com/photonlexicon

Its pretty easy to add your location, maybe this will help.

I'm all for a get together!

Default US

Maybe one day when I have enough money, have a nice long holiday to the US.

And roll in a trip to see you lot to!
    Regards,

Aidan