Thread: Lumia in the US

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Lumia in the US

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere to this point but, have been wondering for some time. How does lumia play out with regards to CDRH? How on earth can you measure it with any accuracy? It's nearly always going to be aimed at a wall and not at people. There is no scanning involved so, no danger of a scan motor crapping out and sending out hot static beams. There aren't projection zones per se and, it might look a little funny with a metal beam block.

Just musing....

Anyone have a lumia varienced projector?

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Um, lumia is a art. It is not programable, but with care it is predictable and controlable. I've spent 20 years hunting down the right materials, and with a certain type of plastic and the right tool, I can make "dial-a-angle" lumias.

dear CDRH, in my projector I have a "scan through effect" , Its its limited by a mask I cut on site, being sole owner/user of the projector, I can get a away with this mask making as part of my "Quality Control Procedures Document". It will extend a max solid angle of phi by theta degrees (where phi and theta are integers) and have a max power equal to the laser input power. please come enjoy my show some day.

Steve

So pointing at your Lumia (both singular and plural?) and saying "these aren't the lasers you've been looking for" won't work?

I am using a lumia as a 'ghost' in a halloween haunt. even though it isn't quite as bright as I would like, I am going to be sticking with my 100mW green module, rather than my 500mw 445. It is 20' away from anyone, and pointing in the opposite direction of any viewers, as well as being blocked off (i need a specific project-able shape)...

My concern is that it will get stolen, and the thief will -not nowing the power of such a strong laser- wind up blinding himself (good, that's what a douchebag gets) or some unsuspecting friend or pet of said thief - and again innocent people hurt by some moron's actions of douchery.

I will post video (hopefully) tonight, once I finish the lighting...

But you can look up Flying Crank Ghost... that is what I originally built a few years ago, and this year decided to take out the ghost and use LUMIA.

Looks SICK!

some of the major dj lighting company's are getting in on the lumia now

http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/P...-DeID=0--SRCH=

http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/P...-DeID=0--SRCH=

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yeah, I've seen the Chauvet Cirrus. They have a couple on display at my local guitar center shining on scrim up near the ceiling. Obviously they've found a way to make something acceptable in the US.

Dispite all the awesome colors this may be one of those grey areas(pun intended)
    Great thread--- we really need to know where we stand legally. What if there is no beamshow along with the Lumia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    How on earth can you measure it with any accuracy?
    I remember asking someone about this, I want to say it was Casey Stack... basically the answer was you have to measure it at some set distance at some set aperture... and thats the power output... something about power density to determine the class or something, cant quite rememnber

W/ cm2, Gentlemen, W/ cm2.

...AND, Sir Brad - we need to have a discussion about the 'letter of the law' and the 'spirit of the law', since you can even get (on-occasion, not the 'standard'...) conflicting answers from different Officers, *within* the dotGov...

A Pro show-producer needs to know the law, *understand* the law - and understand the difference between the two. The What AND the Why.

To be-clear, I'm not suggesting a 'course of duplicity', but, merely that there are conflicts / paradoxies even within the laws, and you have to know how - most-importantly - even superseding the law, on-occasion - to make it SAFE for your audience, when something might not be explicitly-covered, and/or 'conflicted' from-within... this is known as the infamous 'gray-area'...

It's all about doing it safe. Really, it's that simple. Who 'defines safe', and how 'safe' is validated, is where we meet pandora and her messy little box...

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...