Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Oh, look, it mode hops!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    118

    Cool Oh, look, it mode hops!

    Just when you thought only DPSS lasers danced between screwed-up TEM modes...



    The diode is from an unidentified Samsung DVD burner (presumably 16x judging from manufacture date). The diode was tested working beforehand and ran just fine. Being driven at 150mA from an O-Like driver, for roughly 80mW out when metered.

    I don't know why it suddenly decided to start mode-hopping, and it's also run stable since. Racked up a few hours on it last night, was perfectly stable whole way through.

    Normally when diodes mode-hop they don't go into higher-order rectangular transverse modes, so I thought I'd video it and share.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,411

    Wink to hop or not to hop, that's the mode.

    Is the verb to hop mode,
    or to mode-hop ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,729

    Default

    What ever you do, don't mention the mode hip-hop...
    This space for rent.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,488,805

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Is the verb to hop mode,
    or to mode-hop ?
    To mode-hop. At least, that's the way I've always heard it. Though it does appear to violate the standard convention.

    English is like that though. We say things differently because it sounds good that way, not because we're following the rules. That's why it's a difficult language to learn to speak well. Too many exceptions to the rules...

    Adam

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Southport, UK
    Posts
    2,746

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    English is like that though. We say things differently because it sounds good that way, not because we're following the rules. That's why it's a difficult language to learn to speak well. Too many exceptions to the rules...

    Adam
    On right
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

    Doc's website

    The Health and Safety Act 1971

    Recklessly interfering with Darwinís natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.





  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington.
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    To mode-hop. At least, that's the way I've always heard it. Though it does appear to violate the standard convention.

    English is like that though. We say things differently because it sounds good that way, not because we're following the rules. That's why it's a difficult language to learn to speak well. Too many exceptions to the rules...

    Adam
    which is why i love english....

    and why i may sound crazy at times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •