Thread: Oh, look, it mode hops!

Cool Oh, look, it mode hops!

Just when you thought only DPSS lasers danced between screwed-up TEM modes...

The diode is from an unidentified Samsung DVD burner (presumably 16x judging from manufacture date). The diode was tested working beforehand and ran just fine. Being driven at 150mA from an O-Like driver, for roughly 80mW out when metered.

I don't know why it suddenly decided to start mode-hopping, and it's also run stable since. Racked up a few hours on it last night, was perfectly stable whole way through.

Normally when diodes mode-hop they don't go into higher-order rectangular transverse modes, so I thought I'd video it and share.

Wink to hop or not to hop, that's the mode.

Is the verb to hop mode,
    or to mode-hop ?

What ever you do, don't mention the mode hip-hop...
    This space for rent.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Is the verb to hop mode,
    or to mode-hop ?
    To mode-hop. At least, that's the way I've always heard it. Though it does appear to violate the standard convention.

English is like that though. We say things differently because it sounds good that way, not because we're following the rules. That's why it's a difficult language to learn to speak well. Too many exceptions to the rules...

Adam

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    English is like that though. We say things differently because it sounds good that way, not because we're following the rules. That's why it's a difficult language to learn to speak well. Too many exceptions to the rules...

Adam
    On right
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    To mode-hop. At least, that's the way I've always heard it. Though it does appear to violate the standard convention.

Adam
    which is why i love english....

and why i may sound crazy at times.