Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flexmod P3 red light

It does sound like a dead diode, but the 445's are pretty robust, even with careless handling.

Quote Originally Posted by RGbee View Post
    Ok, so tonight i set everything up with a lab PSU running at 9Volts
    I set the bias at 80mA, then unshorted the modulation wires whilst power was still maintained and connected both modulation wires to a 5V SMPU. The gain was then set at 500mA.
    The multimeter probes were connected to the output wires along with the diode. After powering everything back up i still get no output, despite the meter reading 0.5A. However, as soon as the probes are removedm the red light pops back on, disabling output

I'm now totally lost
    Now your discovering the protection features of this module I am thinking.

Have you tried simply cycling the power after setting up the currents?
    This space for rent.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Stupid question, but have you verified the diode/lasorb polarity and pinouts?

I set the bias at 80mA, then unshorted the modulation wires whilst power was still maintained and connected both modulation wires to a 5V SMPU. The gain was then set at 500mA.
    The multimeter probes were connected to the output wires along with the diode. After powering everything back up i still get no output, despite the meter reading 0.5A. However, as soon as the probes are removedm the red light pops back on, disabling output

I'm now totally lost
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Just for clarification on your earlier post, don't do anything with the pad marked '5V' on the bottom.

I'm now totally lost
    It sounds like it is working as it is supposed to. you were able to set the bias and gain, that shows a functional driver. I assume when you say "The multimeter probes were connected to the output wires along with the diode" that means in series. In that case the red light absolutely should turn on and the driver will disable output until the interlock is cycled as a protection feature. But the story is.. if you know 500mA is going through the diode, and it's dark, you have have a dead diode my friend. Some projectors come with a dead diode or two so if your seller didn't do diode tests before extracting, you might have gotten one.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Just for clarification on your earlier post, don't do anything with the pad marked '5V' on the bottom.

It sounds like it is working as it is supposed to. you were able to set the bias and gain, that shows a functional driver. I assume when you say "The multimeter probes were connected to the output wires along with the diode" that means in series. In that case the red light absolutely should turn on and the driver will disable output until the interlock is cycled as a protection feature. But the story is.. if you know 500mA is going through the diode, and it's dark, you have have a dead diode my friend. Some projectors come with a dead diode or two so if your seller didn't do diode tests before extracting, you might have gotten one.
    I am reading this as he is placing the multimeter in parallel with the LD.

I concur, dead diode OR diode wired in reverse.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    I am reading this as he is placing the multimeter in parallel with the LD.

I concur, dead diode OR diode wired in reverse.
    Thanks guys. I'll try one more thing before trying to get hold of another diode

Adrian

Thanks guys. I'll try one more thing before trying to get hold of another diode

Adrian
    EDIT:
    Ok, so it turns out that the pins weren't making contact with the sockets on the laserbug. After soldering the supply lines direct to the diode it works a charm. Unfortunately, it means there's no lasorb, but i can live with that.

Ad

EDIT:
    Ok, so it turns out that the pins weren't making contact with the sockets on the laserbug. After soldering the supply lines direct to the diode it works a charm. Unfortunately, it means there's no lasorb, but i can live with that.

Ad
    Cool. IMHO a lazorb with these diodes is not necessary.
    This space for rent.

EDIT:

Ad

solder left overs from the extraction process preventing proper fit, or the laserbug socket's fault?
    "its called character briggs..."

I have a single regular green led connected to the Flexmod to test things out before attatching a 2,7W 445 LED laser to it. The thing is is that the led lights up for a moment when switching on the relay (spindle on) and then the red interlock light pops up and the green led shuts off. What could I be doing wrong? The Lab PSU I have is set to output 9V and is connected to a relay controlled by arduino pin 12. Here's a 5 second video to show what's going on https://youtu.be/78Ipsqk2Jyg
    Pin 11 goes to Arduino Uno and the gnt goes to the gnd on the Uno as well.

Edit: I changed the flexmod to a new one and this time the red interlock light kind of pulses a bit. Also connected the laser but no beam.
    Last edited by dummie; 03-30-2015 at 12:37.