Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OK, so this had to happen someday...

Quote Originally Posted by goninanbl00d View Post
    Another interesting observation- the heatsink's the exact same size as the one used on bobhaha's pre-production meter. It's going to have to do while I find some flat razors for my proper beam-dump. It's surprisingly non-reflective (moreso than the coating on bobhaha's TEC). I was surprised, actually. But the problem is that it is possible to burn the anodizing off clean, leaving highly-reflective patches.

I don't care if nobody reads my review because of the safety warnings I've dropped everywhere- It's 700mW of tightly-collimated photons in a handheld device. You've got no room to error. And if you're a dumbass, it's not just yourself either- you're putting others at risk.

I'd give you a name at this point in time, but that would be unprofessional. It did have something regarding the laser you were *meant to* get, though.

But rest assured, I've read some of your reviews in the past, and you do a very good job.
    You have me at a loss... I don't know anything about bobhaha's pre-production
    meter.. I haven't been on LPF for over a month... LOL

If you are talking about the LaserBee I Thermopile's heat sink... that is the
    same heatsink we have been using since the first LaserBee was put on the
    market. It does a good job dissipating any heat..

I'm not quite sure what you mean about burning the Anodizing off...

You can't put enough Laser Safety Warnings on a Video or product...
    There are too many "experts" that will hurt themselves or others...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by lasersbee View Post
    You have me at a loss... I don't know anything about bobhaha's pre-production
    meter.. I haven't been on LPF for over a month... LOL

If you are talking about the LaserBee I Thermopile's heat sink... that is the
    same heatsink we have been using since the first LaserBee was put on the
    market. It does a good job dissipating any heat..

I'm not quite sure what you mean about burning the Anodizing off...

You can't put enough Laser Safety Warnings on a Video or product...
    There are too many "experts" that will hurt themselves or others...

Jerry
    Oh well, you haven't missed much. The forum's been going downhill consistantly. What was once a technical forum is now just revolving around spam and ridiculous builds.

The meter I was talking about is the one in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtrb0J2tjrY

It's the only picture/video I could find of it.

As for the heatsink in the video, it's a blank heatsink, not a thermopile. Should have made myself more clear earlier. It's being used as a beamstop, so all the laser light doesn't spill onto everything behind the area where I'm burning stuff.

Since it's aluminium, it's more or less reflective, even if said reflections aren't specular. You'll still get enough 445 coming your way to flashblind you- and that's why you always wear goggles.

And to think there was some guy saying you don't need goggles if you're not gonna be a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by goninanbl00d View Post
    Oh well, you haven't missed much. The forum's been going downhill consistantly. What was once a technical forum is now just revolving around spam and ridiculous builds.

The meter I was talking about is the one in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtrb0J2tjrY

It's the only picture/video I could find of it.

As for the heatsink in the video, it's a blank heatsink, not a thermopile. Should have made myself more clear earlier. It's being used as a beamstop, so all the laser light doesn't spill onto everything behind the area where I'm burning stuff.

Since it's aluminium, it's more or less reflective, even if said reflections aren't specular. You'll still get enough 445 coming your way to flashblind you- and that's why you always wear goggles.

And to think there was some guy saying you don't need goggles if you're not gonna be a dumbass.
    Now all the parts of the puzzle make sense... Sometimes I guess I am
    not that fast at catching on...

That meter that bobhaha is using is one of the 1st generation Standard
    LaserBee Is that someone mounted into that box.
    I can see that he has made 2 mistakes taking a reading of his Laser..

1) he is too close to the Thermopile Sensor... it can pickup the radiated
    heat from the Laser and head...

2) he has mounted the Thermopile Sensor inside his enclosure.. contrary
    to what the User Instructions state.

It was hard to see in the video that it was only a raw heatsink and not
    the LaserBee I Thermopile... Thanks for clearing that up....

I can't agree with you more... If I hadn't been banned... a vacation from
    the Kindergarten playground was already being contemplated...

And I hear that Karma has come around to bite the rear ends of some that
    had asked for it... No I can't give out names...

Jerry

Now all the parts of the puzzle make sense... Sometimes I guess I am
    not that fast at catching on...

That meter that bobhaha is using is one of the 1st generation Standard
    LaserBee Is that someone mounted into that box.
    I can see that he has made 2 mistakes taking a reading of his Laser..

1) he is too close to the Thermopile Sensor... it can pickup the radiated
    heat from the Laser and head...

2) he has mounted the Thermopile Sensor inside his enclosure.. contrary
    to what the User Instructions state.

It was hard to see in the video that it was only a raw heatsink and not
    the LaserBee I Thermopile... Thanks for clearing that up....

I can't agree with you more... If I hadn't been banned... a vacation from
    the Kindergarten playground was already being contemplated...

And I hear that Karma has come around to bite the rear ends of some that
    had asked for it... No I can't give out names...

Jerry
    The video's quite old, and he bought it with the meter already in the enclosure. The thermopile head is no longer in the enclosure either.

Here's a pic for scale. The heatsink is more or less identical to the one on the Laserbee 1, except the 'pile heatsink doesn't have the two PCB mounting pins.

The smaller heatsink has a 'scratch' across it, that was where I managed to burn the anodizing off.

Also, LPF's going through one of those phases where they're getting swamped by noobs. Such a shame that the intellgent population there's thinning out.

Default Response from ILDA

Hi, I appreciate some of the things people have said about ILDA giving away the donated Arctic laser. I can see your concerns.

Earlier today, I added a section to the drawing giveaway page explaining additional facts about the giveaway. For example, the laser goes to an ILDA Member, who presumably has Class 4 lasers already, the person is required to sign a safety acknowledgement, the person does NOT have to accept the laser if they don't want it for any reason (they get an alternative prize), etc.

Also, ILDA is not taking a position on Wicked's business practices, or on the CDRH warning letter, or on Class 4 lasers in general. We just happened to get a laser donated to us by Wicked, and we're giving it away to a responsible, willing laser user. That's all.

Also, someone thought the original graphic looked too much like a Wicked ad, which is a good point, so I photographed the actual laser and changed the text to remove the specific name of the laser -- not that people can't figure it out...

Anyway, I understand reasonable people can disagree about this particular move. If we had been donated a laser projector, we would have given it away. But we were donated a Wicked Laser, which uses the same diodes that a LOT of ILDA Members have been harvesting or buying, so that's what we're giving away.

If anyone wants to discuss this more, feel free to email or write directly to me. (But first check out the new section, "Additional information about laser safety and this drawing", on the drawing page at ILDA's website.)

-- Patrick Murphy, ILDA, 407-797-7654, mail@laserist.org
    Last edited by ildadirect; 12-10-2010 at 13:26. Reason: Added info about new section on ILDA website page

Quote Originally Posted by ildadirect View Post
    Hi, I appreciate some of the things people have said about ILDA giving away the donated Arctic laser. I can see your concerns.

Earlier today, I added a section to the drawing giveaway page explaining additional facts about the giveaway. For example, the laser goes to an ILDA Member, who presumably has Class 4 lasers already, the person is required to sign a safety acknowledgement, the person does NOT have to accept the laser if they don't want it for any reason (they get an alternative prize), etc.

Also, ILDA is not taking a position on Wicked's business practices, or on the CDRH warning letter, or on Class 4 lasers in general. We just happened to get a laser donated to us by Wicked, and we're giving it away to a responsible, willing laser user. That's all.

Also, someone thought the original graphic looked too much like a Wicked ad, which is a good point, so I photographed the actual laser and changed the text to remove the specific name of the laser -- not that people can't figure it out...

Anyway, I understand reasonable people can disagree about this particular move. If we had been donated a laser projector, we would have given it away. But we were donated a Wicked Laser, which uses the same diodes that a LOT of ILDA Members have been harvesting or buying, so that's what we're giving away.

If anyone wants to discuss this more, feel free to email or write directly to me. (But first check out the new section, "Additional information about laser safety and this drawing", on the drawing page at ILDA's website.)

Hey Patrick.....

why are you posting this on this ARCTIC LASER REVIEW thread...:skratching head:
    This is not a Thread about a Give Away Arctic Laser....

There is another Thread about the ILDA/Arctics alliance on this Forum... Perhaps that is
    where you should post your opinion......................

Jerry
    Last edited by lasersbee; 12-10-2010 at 18:26.

Hey Patrick.....

There is another Thread about the ILDA/Arctics alliance on this Forum... Perhaps that is

Jerry
    Mmm, interesting.

Perhaps it's easier here, where the discussion's already been had. If they made their own thread, it'd probably devolve (is that even a word?) into another flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by ildadirect View Post

Also, ILDA is not taking a position on ..... on Class 4 lasers in general.

Hey Patrick,

I don't think you'll find any objection to Class 4 lasers on here at all (I'm presuming that you've brought this up because maybe some governments are moving against them) but on here certainly I think you'll find that we love them. Its just pointers that some of us have concerns about because they are the most easily and regularly abused items by Joe Public and they tend to discredit lasers generally when abused and thus potentially threaten draconian legislation against the entire projector industry as well. We all know an ILDA member would use a pointer responsibily, the problem comes from the wider audience these devices have especially amongst younger people.

Hey Patrick.....

Jerry
    I think Patrick is posting in here Jerry because on page 1 of the review the whole subject and discussion of the ILDA give away came to the fore.

Hey Patrick.....

Jerry
    I don't read PL regularly (as you can see by my Junior Member status <g>). I was pointed to this particular thread by a link that a PL member kindly sent me. He did not mention any other thread. I will go look for the other thread and crosspost there. Thanks for the heads up.

I sent you a link by PM responding to your
    PM...

@ White-Light .... Thanks got it... Saw it on drlava's post above...

Jerry