Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some nice work

Default Some nice work

Look at this guy's work on youtube, he is doing some nice laser programming in 3D, optical tracking and music visualization.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1heq...xOWT4&index=23

I've asked him to drop by on PL.

Nice, good find.

OpenLase? hmmm....
    This space for rent.

That is really cool. Realtime geometric correction.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Nice, hopefully he stops by. I have seen his bad apple video referenced over on the laserfreak forum. It's good to see someone is already working on combining the kinect with lasers! It appears most of his programming might be in linux

I wonder if you could use cameras to track people and do audience scanning that won't scan people

Problem with that is cameras don't work too well in the dark. Unless you installed some high power IR fixtures.

could use a combination of short wave IR with IR illuminators and long range IR (thermal)?

Hello!

Yup, it's a little project I've been working on for a while now. I recently posted the code, here's the blurb about how it works:

http://marcansoft.com/blog/2010/11/o...aser-graphics/

The projector is a fairly straightforward DIY, made out of a galvo kit and a 5.1 USB sound card. I'm not using any correction amp, the soundcard feeds straight to the differential + input on the amps, and I tap and buffer the Vref of the soundcard (mid-level) for the - input, so a 0 value gives a centered galvo. The galvo amps have a wide enough input size adjustment that I don't need to use any extra conditioning before them.

The laser driver and safety portions are custom. The laser is a cheapo Chinese pointer, with the driver replaced with my own analog-modulated design (and with proper heatsinking added). There's also a monitoring system that shorts the laser during power transients (since my driver hasn't been engineered with power-up transient behavior in mind, and it might spike) and also shuts down the laser unless a 1kHz "pilot" tone is present on an extra channel. This ensures that if the software hangs or crashes the laser doesn't just stop cold, possibly on, at the last position.

FWIW, the Kinect works great in pitch dark because it uses its own illuminator. It uses a structured IR pattern to track depth, as in this photo (IR image on the right, 3D reconstruction on the left; this is all done by the hardware). Incidentally, the illuminator is itself a relatively powerful IR laser running CW, shining through a pair of patterned diffraction gratings to produce the dot constellation.

However, the Kinect only works up to 6m or so, so you'd need something else for a larger area.

Here's another OpenLase app I did yesterday, this time to visualize MIDI in realtime:
    Last edited by marcan; 12-01-2010 at 07:46.

Default cool

that is cooool
    i hope you keep us posted of you delvelopments
    love the circlescope
    Last edited by badger1666; 12-01-2010 at 10:58.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by marcan View Post
    Here's another OpenLase app I did yesterday, this time to visualize MIDI in realtime:
    nice! I have always thought a MIDI>Laser app would be awesome since you can convert the "song" files (not the audio) from games like guitar hero and rockband for the instruments (like the actual instrument hits/presses) and turn them into MIDI files... bam, instant laser show to hundreds of songs