Thread: Dual 445 build (well, more of an assembly...)

Default Dual 445 build (well, more of an assembly...)

Here are some pics of where I got to this afternoon, assembling one of Dave's dual 445 kits.

Decided to not use Lasorbs as:
    1) the 445 diodes are pretty hard to kill, and
    2) I couldn't get them to fit nicely and close enough to the diodes to make the extra wiring worth it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000332.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	22020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000331.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	22019

Even without them, its quite a tight fit against the sides of the case. I think this is also made worse by the fact that I'm going to use lava's correction optics rather than prisms. This means that the diode carrier is more central on the baseplate than if I was using prisms, and so puts the rear of the lateral diode closer to the side of the lid.

The module is designed for a TEC, but as I'll only be running around 1.5W, it'll be passively cooled. I've just ordered a 5mm aluminium riser to go where the TEC would be under the diode carrier plate, and hopefully it'll be here next week so I can carry on. Lenses will be the o-like ones, although I think Dave is in the process of getting some 9mmx0.5 mounts for the 405-g2 lenses (which I believe is the preferred lense for knife edging with correction optics)

I've got a Flexmod P3 waiting to hook up, and it'll be driven off a 12V 10A switching supply (which will also do the case fans and a red if I can ever afford it).

All of this lot is going into one of the cases Simon P1tbull and Marc Insanity designed and built, with a ~1.2W 532 (probably a Vaisho) and some DT30's (when I can afford to make the order with Rob!)

For this build I'll be using mirror mounts to bring all the lasers to the correct height, rather than adjusting the modules in relation to the baseplate. This way I can have them all securely thermally coupled to the baseplate, and adjustment will be far easier.

Looking nice Adam

I glued laseorbs to the top of the diode housings, and ran wires, but yeah, probably a little pointless. If you are not using prisms it gets a bit tight behind the side diode housing.

Also, its been designed for a 4mm thick TEC, so you will need a 4mm not 5mm spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Here are some pics of where I got to this afternoon, assembling one of Dave's dual 445 kits.

Decided to not use Lasorbs as:
    1) the 445 diodes are pretty hard to kill, and
    2) I couldn't get them to fit nicely and close enough to the diodes to make the extra wiring worth it.

Name:	P1000332.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	22020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000331.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	22019

Even without them, its quite a tight fit against the sides of the case. I think this is also made worse by the fact that I'm going to use lava's correction optics rather than prisms. This means that the diode carrier is more central on the baseplate than if I was using prisms, and so puts the rear of the lateral diode closer to the side of the lid.

The module is designed for a TEC, but as I'll only be running around 1.5W, it'll be passively cooled. I've just ordered a 5mm aluminium riser to go where the TEC would be under the diode carrier plate, and hopefully it'll be here next week so I can carry on. Lenses will be the o-like ones, although I think Dave is in the process of getting some 9mmx0.5 mounts for the 405-g2 lenses (which I believe is the preferred lense for knife edging with correction optics)

I've got a Flexmod P3 waiting to hook up, and it'll be driven off a 12V 10A switching supply (which will also do the case fans and a red if I can ever afford it).

All of this lot is going into one of the cases Simon P1tbull and Marc Insanity designed and built, with a ~1.2W 532 (probably a Vaisho) and some DT30's (when I can afford to make the order with Rob!)

For this build I'll be using mirror mounts to bring all the lasers to the correct height, rather than adjusting the modules in relation to the baseplate. This way I can have them all securely thermally coupled to the baseplate, and adjustment will be far easier.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I didn't have any problem mounting the lasorbs dirrectly on the diodes while still allowing the lid to fit, the only drawback is I cant get to two of the screws securing the LD (not that I actually need too)

I choose to add them as I have a connector on the back connecting to the driver
    If the driver fitted inside I probably wouldn't bother

Name:	P1040458.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	22023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040464.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	22024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040455.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	22025

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Also, its been designed for a 4mm thick TEC, so you will need a 4mm not 5mm spacer.
    I measured the centre of the output hole as 22mm from the top of the baseplate, and the height of the centre of the diode holder was a bit over 17mm, so I figured 5mm would be about right. I don't think it'll cause any problems anyway, the size of the output hole should give a bit of leeway.

I didn't have any problem mounting the lasorbs dirrectly on the diodes while still allowing the lid to fit,
    As you're using prisms, you can have the diode plate slid further down (based on the view in the 2nd pic) As I'm using correction optics, the diodes have to line up exactly straight with the output aperture, so mine is slid further up.

I notice you have your diodes with the pins like . . I thought the emitter was widest in the horizontal like that, which means the fast axis is vertical? Or have i got that the wrong way round? I've got mine with the pins vertical so the emitter runs vertically, putting the fast axis in the horizontal plane.
    Last edited by norty303; 12-04-2010 at 17:18.

the diodes have to line up exactly straight with the output aperture, so mine is slid further up.
    Ahh, I see what your saying

I notice you have your diodes with the pins like . . I thought the emitter was widest in the horizontal like that, which means the fast axis is vertical? Or have i got that the wrong way round? I've got mine with the pins vertical so the emitter runs vertically, putting the fast axis in the horizontal plane.
    The beam exits vertically with the diodes mounted as you say with the pins at . .

as can be seen here on the mirror

Name:	P1040462.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	22026

I had to test it first as I couldn't find any reference to the mounting vs beam direction

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

The beam exits vertically with the diodes mounted as you say with the pins at . .
    Thanks, i'll have to swivel mine round in the mounts then