Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 445nm beams

Laser Warning 445nm beams

Here are a couple of pics of the two 445nm moving heads I built.
    They´re performing great so far, and people love them for their small size and punch.

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010478_small.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	22179 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010483_small.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	22180

They look great, but I wonder if anyone's felt the urge to walk over to one and put their hand into the beam. Or a bottle of beer. Maybe it's just me, but this the most dangerous thing I think I've ever seen done with a 1W laser source, much more so for 24W.

Compared to an average hmi1200 spotlight they are not spitting out more photons.
    So *at the lens* the power density is just as dangerous.

@ laser dj
    Can you tell me whats the NOHD of your builds ?

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    @ laser dj
    Can you tell me whats the NOHD of your builds ?
    I reaaly don´t know, but I treat these machines with respect, they are very powerfull and dangerous. These pictures were taken before the club was open. The place around the moving heads was isolated so there was no chance of contact with the beams.

Thx

I just get very nervous whenever I see laser light heading up, especially straight up, from anywhere below head level. Doesn't matter how well the area is controlled. I'd recommend mounting them on the roof of a vehicle or something of similar height. Otherwise, I hope you're covered with lots of insurance! But they look GREAT!!!

Looking at the beam diameter, I assume the power density is probablt lower tham many small DPSS lasers.

Please can you confirm beam diameter & divergence? Or just diameter if thats all you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    I just get very nervous whenever I see laser light heading up, especially straight up, from anywhere below head level. Doesn't matter how well the area is controlled. I'd recommend mounting them on the roof of a vehicle or something of similar height. Otherwise, I hope you're covered with lots of insurance! But they look GREAT!!!
    99% of the time we used them on rooftops.. In fact if I recall correctly that was the only time we used them on the floor.

Default Another pic of them in action...

Name:	Xiado Image7.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	23094

Pic is a video frame-grab

Default Quick calculation

Starting off with 24 Watts, a 3" diameter beam would be around 400 milliwatts per square cm. So you could probably put about 100 milliwatts into an eyeball with the thing. They are among the coolest looking beams I've seen in a photo. What a great "searchlight" effect. Here in the US wouldn't you need the FAA to approve shooting them straight up? At least if you're within so many miles of an airport? The FAA's approval is probably conditioned on the laser being non hazardous and only representing a startle hazard. Just thinking out loud and then writing down the noise. . .

- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by laserdj View Post

Name:	Xiado Image7.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	23094

Pic is a video frame-grab
    Not knowing the NOHD, means I'd personally have put plates on the scaffold in front of the moving heads so that if they failed and dipped down for any reason the audience would be shielded.