Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First Annual SouthEast Laser Enthusiasts Meeting

How about contacting the people of the City of Atlanta, GA? Here in Akron, we have a thing called the Downtown Akron Partnership. They sometimes show an interest in helping to plan cultural events that might bring people to the city or create an event that people will remember. We also have the Akron Area Arts Alliance and the University of Akron. Somehow or another they seem to come together every now and then and make something happen. It's amazing just how much property is owned by either the city or the university. They also seem to have the wherewithal to get around all sorts of legal issues when they want to.

James.

Any news?

Hi James;

I talked with Robert over the weekend. He's still looking into different venues. So far it looks like a hotel conference room / ballroom is going to be the best bet. There weren't any airport hangers available, and wharehouse space was way too expensive.

If we can't nail something down by the end of the month we may have to consider a change in location (ie different city), but I'd like to stick with Atlanta simply because it's central to lots of people and it's a major hub for air travelers.

Adam

How about my basement in Arkon, Ohio? I think I can handle about 4 other people!

James. :o)

Just 4 other people eh? Well, maybe we'll have an "after-SELEM gathering" at your place then! 'Course, we'll have to have a lottery to find out which 4 of us get to go!

Seriously though, we need a venue that can support at least 15-20 people I think. Right now we've probably got close to 10 folks that will be there, and when you add in gear you're looking at more than just a basement. Then too, if we start talking about this on alt.lasers (or any other forum) we'll probably pick up more people.

I think a small ballroom would work - something like a 40x40 room with some folding tables and a lot of chairs... Devote one wall to project laser images on, and do beam effects cross-wise in the room. But I'm not sure how much soemthing like that would cost. (Spec is still checking into things.)

Adam

No, I havent forgot about this Still researching a location... its terrible, there are a lot of rooms that come close but nothing has been "perfect" yet...

Its either lighting, room size, adversity to hazers, silly management who decide to have heart attacks over lasers or price.

Lets not forget the one venue who had a problem with all of the above. Even the ligthing. He said "Yea, you would need to call building management to dim the lights"

Silly people. Yea, I think were still "on schedule" for the event, it'll be just a litte more chaotic towards the actual setup date.

Don't suppose there's any community centers or somesuch out by those parts?

Yeah, I'd leave off the lasers and haze part of asking Worst case, we
    can use fog-in-a-can... I've "snuck" plenty of hazers into spots, though
    I'm not planning on bringing any of our hazers out there... Just what fits
    into one roadcase.

I bet when you say "Laser Conference" a lot of these places see dollar bills
    in their eyes

is it so hard to find a space to rent for 3 days ?

Hmm... where do the "local" kids have theyr LAN partys ? :roll:

If someone here want to have a LAN, we got like 2..3.4.5 diffrent places to rent for a weekend.. less than 40$ for 3 days

But on the other hand.. there is only 25k ppl living here, and not 2millions

Atlanta is desperate for the "tourist" dollar on the "native" dollar. Hence why they just put in that god-awful-expensive aquarium. Not much in the way of "community centers"

LAN parties are alsu usually at hotels. there are a couple "lan centers" here but they charge by the hour and are not really set up for "dangerous lights"

Hotel-age looks to be the best option for the time being. I am on the lookout though.

today is my "drag camera to venue" day and make a post covering the images. Its also "Corvette needs a bra" day.

Hopefully I'll have something neat for you guys this evening.

They wouldnt let me take pictures... My camera must have been a terrorist camera...

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hd/atlpf

The "Berkshire" looks promising, pretty big, decent lighting, its in the corner of the hotel so noise shouldnt be an issue. easy entry from the side for "stuff moving"

Its the song and dance routine from here. I get the distinct pleasure of meeting some asshat they call "Event Coordinator" on Monday who will probably tell me 1 or more of the fallowing things:

lasers are out
    foggers/hazers are out
    not enough people for the room size
    That will be $1 billion dollars please
    they are booked
    they oversold
    they require room commitments
    they want my firstborn
    they want my vette
    or "Yea, no problem, just sign here and leave a brown paper sack full of money under the awning of room 902"

On an upside the lady at the desk did give me a funny look and said "We have provided 208 three phase for a pre-wedding party before... Why do you ask?"

Im thinking it will be smarter to omit little details like "possible random blindings" or the ever popular "you might have to redo a section of wall paper all the way around the room"

Anywho: heres to another hotel.