Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Wondering what the hobbyists do to insure there laser equipment at home against theft or fire. I have quickly sunk a lot of money into this hobby and would hate to lose it. Also do you have to fear an insurance premium increase if you operate a laser in your home?

Thanks

John
    leading in trailing technology

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:44.

Lasers, alongside PA and lighting gear are considered 'professional' equipment, and would be unlikely to be covered by a regular homeowners policy.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Get a special rider on the home policy for the laser gear or some sort of home theatre policy. Reasoning: We made a claim once after a lightning strike, under a home owners policy. They offered me less then half the value on the computer and the main office disallowed the x-29 card, on the grounds that a x29 card was not needed for the computer to function in a home. That was in the 90s.

Steve

I use Farmers Insurance to insure my equipment DJ and LJ. I purchased renters insurance which covers break ins and theft. It also covers theft in Canada. If its ever stolen at a gig I was volunteering my time and in no way did I make money at the event .

I was also able to a little extra renters insurance to cover large loses up to 60,000 if I had a theft volunteering.

It cost roughly $12 a month.

I have to say I suggest everyone have renters insurance if you rent.

I manage apartments and suggest it to all new tenants. My unit had a fault stove that lit up a pan of oil and caused $18,000 worth of smoke and fire damage. $12 bucks a month covered every penny and I am so grateful to have it.

Check on policy details thoroughly though as they are very different from company to company. Farmers seemed to have the clearest definitions.
    Slick Laser 2.4w RGB
    Omnisistem 1991 RG Q-Beam
    Hene Tube
    Shitty mistake Chauvet Scorpion fat beam