Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Noob at DPSS building

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,281

    Default Noob at DPSS building

    Is it possible to make a DPSS?
    I think the answer is yes to that right?

    I heard a DPSS has an IR laser that is shining on a crystal that heats up and can only convert it to an color/colour and can only do that at a certain max wattage depending on the crystal
    (else It will burn or let through way to much).

    I know how to obtain IR lasers but these crystals, I did see one on a picture a few times.
    But how are they called? Where can they be found?

    For example I want a green laser... what crystal would I need?

    Sorry for asking this, it has likely been discussed before if yes please point me to that topic / site / place.

    And I will GTFO ;p
    *sorry for the last sentence I just had to insult myself for no reason :P

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Huge subject and from your post you are not even at the starting gate.

    I would start with "Solid state laser engineering" by Walter Koechner but there are other good sources out there (Something good on non linear quantum optics anyone?).

    Making green usually takes two crystals (a Laser crystal normally yag or Vanidate and a frequency doubling crystal, KTP or some such), some specialised mirrors and lenses to shape the pump beam and a lot of very careful alignment and temperature control if it is to work well.

    A fun project but it is usually cheaper to buy an off the shelf module for our needs.

    Do read the safety section of the laser FAQ, the infrared beams involved can have an eye out before you even know it has happened.

    Regards, Dan.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post
    Huge subject and from your post you are not even at the starting gate.

    I would start with "Solid state laser engineering" by Walter Koechner but there are other good sources out there (Something good on non linear quantum optics anyone?).

    Making green usually takes two crystals (a Laser crystal normally yag or Vanidate and a frequency doubling crystal, KTP or some such), some specialised mirrors and lenses to shape the pump beam and a lot of very careful alignment and temperature control if it is to work well.

    A fun project but it is usually cheaper to buy an off the shelf module for our needs.

    Do read the safety section of the laser FAQ, the infrared beams involved can have an eye out before you even know it has happened.

    Regards, Dan.
    Ah well if it's cheaper to just buy then nevermind.
    maybe I will try it once.

    And yes I know infrared beams are dangerous as hell.
    Thanks anyway for warning.

    Dangerous thinks are awsome but safety first.
    I inspected the FAQ before and think safety is important. especially when there could be situations where it could mean someone else's safety

    Also I will buy that book.
    I love electronics overall and learning more stuff can always be nice

    *edit*
    huh? it's an free ebook ??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Look at this, and then read the entire DPSS section at Sams laserfaq

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dpss2asm.gif 
Views:	48 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	22331

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    Look at this, and then read the entire DPSS section at Sams laserfaq

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dpss2asm.gif 
Views:	48 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	22331
    Thanks.
    I was looking for the ebook and looked at it's index and it was 742 pages so I think this is a bit less... *think*

    btw 42 ..... woa magic number

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    huh? it's an free ebook ??
    Damn well better not be, I paid a hell of a lot of money for my latest edition.

    Regards, Dan.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post
    Damn well better not be, I paid a hell of a lot of money for my latest edition.

    Regards, Dan.
    Yeah I noticed afterwards.
    It was a bit readable.
    but when scrolling down I noticed 452 pages were only made visible.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Im still looking but I do understand more already
    Thanks to a very usefull picture and remembering something dnstje showed me in the past with the crystals.

    Only need to find out how to provide efficient cooling and how to get a lens that collimates and such.
    Thanks for the help both of you

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Bit more to it then that!

    That drawing shows a Q Switched machine which will run the mirrors (and KTP Coatings) fairly close to the ragged edge of optical damage and which may well need the KTP heating to avoid gray tracking (bulk optical damage), and to phase match it.

    You also need a high pass filter or a prism to separate the IR leakage from the green light (There will be a lot of IR leakage during the pulses).

    I would start with something much cruder, simpler and cheaper (There is an ebay seller in Aus. who does cheapish bonded crystal kits for end pumping with modest 808nm diodes), maybe something like that rather then trying an L fold right off the bat.

    Some serious OD number glasses for 808/1064 are still required and even with the glasses (which are really a last line of defence) good laser safety practises should be observed.
    The glasses should be certified and should NOT be cheapies off ebay (If you pay less for the glasses then for a new hardback copy of solid state laser engineering then they are probably not the real deal).

    Regards, Dan.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    No I meant this pictureClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Green-laser-pointer-dpss-diagrams.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	22332

    off course this is not with the cooling..
    Is this a more accurate image of an dpss ?
    or am I really missing things here?

    And I already was getting protection glasses for my RGB projector.
    Just in case so that's ok

    I know this is a pointer but the pointer is similar to a dpss module right?
    Last edited by masterpj; 12-15-2010 at 13:59.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •