Thread: Vari-Lite moving mirror... anyone have experience?

Question Vari-Lite moving mirror... anyone have experience?

Does anyone use these as moving bounce mirrors or have used in conjunction with other lighting? I have a chance to pick up a few and I am wondering if it is worth it. I believe 40 units are for sale and are sold in pairs including a dual road case. Should you want the contact PM me. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlm moving mirror.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	22325
    VLM SPECS:
    Dual-sided mirrored panel with highly reflective polycarbonate finish.
    Smooth, time controlled continuous motion by way of a digital servo system.
    Pan - 360°, Tilt - 360°.
    220° per second.
    0.3° resolution.
    Variable rate continuous tilt motion in either direction.
    Powered through the Smart Repeater™ processing unit, which adapts to all world-wide voltages.
    -20° to 120°F (-29° to 49°C).
    Completely compatible with either the VARIkLITE automated lighting system, featuring the Artisan®Plus or mini-Artisan®2 control console, or consoles with DMX-512 output.
    The VLM moving mirror unit can be mounted and operated in any orientation.
    Hangs on 18 in. (460 mm) centers.
    12 lbs (5.5 kg).

Ciao,
    Mario

www.r3dj.com

1.5W RGB unit from Marc at CT Lasers!
    400mW RGBv mod based on Chinese unit

I have though about these before and although the idea is appealing these is one important issue. Should a unit go faulty, there is a possibility of a full power beam being directed into the audience.

You would need to devise some knid of protection device that causes the mirror to return to a default "safe" position in the event of an issue arising. However, if a motor goes, that may not be possible.

If I recall correctly, they have specific warning labels on them, NOT to use them with lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    I have though about these before and although the idea is appealing these is one important issue. Should a unit go faulty, there is a possibility of a full power beam being directed into the audience.

You would need to devise some knid of protection device that causes the mirror to return to a default "safe" position in the event of an issue arising. However, if a motor goes, that may not be possible.
    I have two of the Studio Due Version (basically the same) . Safety has been my main concern for use as well. I have only used them a couple of time when I could assure that any stray beam bounce went somewhere safe. I thought of maybe building some sort of large round beam block to go around them to make them more usable. However I so rarely use mirrors any more. Almost easier just to put up another Laser or two and no Bounce mirrors. Main reason i am working on Modifying my three ML10 beam tables. Soon to have 3W of rgb on them. AWESOME.
    Larry