Thread: Need some help here

Question Need some help here

I recently inherited a bunch of stuff from an uncle who passed. 2 of the things are laser parts. I have find a little bit of info on them, but would desperately like more. Here's the facts: I know they are Nd YAG parts of the head, I think they are called pump chambers. They are brand new. one of them has a gold chamber in it, the other doesn't. They BOTH have the YAG rod in them, but no light tube thing. They have been stored for a while in a case, sealed and dry. Does anyone know what these are for, or what I should ask for them on ebay or where to sell them!! ALL help will be greatly appreciated. I am enclosing some pictures of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP19960.JPG  

DCP19965.JPG  

DCP19966.JPG  

DCP19964.JPG  

DCP19962.JPG  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Donna,

I'm sorry for your loss.

Marking system YAG pump chamber. Sets on a dovetail rail.

Control Data or Lasermetrics or Laser Photonics, maybe, just a guess, but I think it would be one of those three companies.

Not worth much in their present form, the technology is somewhat obsolete, Quite a few are still in service. 50-100$ or so each on Ebay if you list the rod dimensions. Consider keeping one rod out of it for a keepsake. The Laser Rod, which you can find on wikipedia is ND:YAG, and is a synthetic gemstone. Some lapidarists like to make semiprecious stones from the material.

The gold plated block probably has a 40 micron thick 24K gold coating on it, ie very thin.

No arc lamp or lamp hardware, at least not in the picture, so it is not complete. That is just a fraction of the whole laser. If one of them has a unbroken lamp, (long piece of quartz with metal ends) it would be worth perhaps 25-50$ more.

Honestly,
    Depending on where you are and your marital status, might be better used as good bait for meeting a laser geek.
    Just kiddin... There are a lot of guys here who would like to have that as a toy.

If you send a picture of that to www.kenteklaserstore.com they will possibly tell you what it is, as they rebuild parts for that type of laser.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-16-2010 at 10:12.

Thumbs up Thank You...

Thanks for the help. Not looking for a man, got one. I had hoped that the laser rod was worth more...they are really expensive at the places I looked. I have 2 of them about 4" x 1/4" and they are new. Not sure how they work or anything. I was just looking to sell this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by donnawilkins1948 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Not looking for a man, got one. I had hoped that the laser rod was worth more...they are really expensive at the places I looked. I have 2 of them about 4" x 1/4" and they are new. Not sure how they work or anything. I was just looking to sell this stuff.
    The problem is unless you have a really rare and useful rod, they take a nose dive in value.

BTW, the rod alone with the mounting hardware will sell for more then the whole block. When you ebay it, post the dimensions to the nearest tenth of a millimeter for length and diameter, or call Kentek and find out what it is first. If it were suitable for something rare and really in demand, like rod that fits a Laserscope medical system, you may get double that.

Measure the rod and post back, that might aid your quest.

Steve

Also if the gold plated cavity part is perfect, that is the second part that is in demand, because the lamps explode and destroy the plating, and the cooling water eats them.

BTW< if you find the lamp, they have a tendency to explode into showers of fragments when mishandled. They have high pressure gas in them.

Steve