Thread: 2 Diodes (650) powered by a single driver

Question 2 Diodes (650) powered by a single driver

Hi Guys.

I know this must have been asked before and must have been answered twice that much ... but ... I CAN'T FIND IT

I am planning on running two red's from a single driver.

So here are my questions:
    1) Is there anyone already practicing this (Please send me a picture.. please !!)
    2) If 1) does not apply, how am i meant to connect them
    3) To what will i have to set the driver for?

Thanks to everyone replying to this .....

Default diodes

hi
    run them in parralell with a 2ohm resistor on each one, set your driver
    to double the current, if your using loc diodes set it for 650ma.
    this is common practise with most diodes that forum users use
    the only change will be the current drive,
    dont forget to heat sink your diodes well at this current
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

As badger pointed out, parallel is often the way to go with diodes that have one pin connected to the case.

For isolated diodes you can run them in series, with the driver set for the current of one diode. This is not the case with most diodes.

I personally run 4 x LOC in parallel with 1 ohm resistors to balance the current between each, driver set to 1.8A (450mA per diode). Photos here http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...r-my-projector
    This space for rent.

Default isolation

Yeah and dont forget to keep your diodes isolated from each other and ground
    Or they will go pop
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

You guys just answered a question I had-- thanks for sharing. I appreciate the info.

hak

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    As badger pointed out, parallel is often the way to go with diodes that have one pin connected to the case.

For isolated diodes you can run them in series, with the driver set for the current of one diode. This is not the case with most diodes.

I personally run 4 x LOC in parallel with 1 ohm resistors to balance the current between each, driver set to 1.8A (450mA per diode). Photos here http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...r-my-projector

Have you actually fired them up at 450mA yet, that seems like a pretty high setting.

Thumbs up guys ... thank you all so much for sharing your brains

Could anyone sketch this up for me. As i know in theorie how i would have to connect them but i don't want to get anything wrong. Killing diodes and waiting for new ones is hardcore for someone really impatient

Quote Originally Posted by Solonar View Post
    Have you actually fired them up at 450mA yet, that seems like a pretty high setting.
    Yes, they have run for many hours at 450mA, quite cool thanks to Dave's brass mounts and a solid platform. I have run them at 500mA for a few hours also, despite diminishing returns. 450mA seams best.
    This space for rent.