Thread: Laser Projector & High Freq Laser Source

Default Laser Projector & High Freq Laser Source

High all , i am electrical engineer & fpga expert & new to laser scanners .

i am trying to build amateur laser projector with X-Y Scanning .

i prepared hexapod mirrors and attached them to the motors and built XY Scanning unit . but my 10mw red laser doesnt enough power for scanning . so i must use higher power than this .

the solution came from modulation frequency in need . i read some major topics in this section and received good informations about laser beam modulation. hower something still need to be answerd .

is the normal 100mw laser diodes are capble to be switched on & off with frequency about 1Mhz ?!

with resolution of 320x24 and 20fps i need a 1.5Mhz beam modulation . so is the laser diode right choise for this or not ?

i searched for 22x DVD-RW laser diod and i know its about 200 mw power with modulation frequency about 231Mhz so is it right for me ?!

Thanks
    Clurado.

A normal dvd-rw laser will work fine for your purpose, just stay away from dpss lasers (such as 532nm, 473nm, etc) because they have very poor modulation characteristics. Normal diodes lasers (670-630nm, 445nm, 405nm) can be modulated at >100MHz without any problems, just make sure to use proper RF design practices in your driver!
    Last edited by krazer; 12-17-2010 at 08:28. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    A normal dvd-rw laser will work fine for your purpose, just stay away from dpss lasers (such as 532nm, 473nm, etc) because they have very poor modulation characteristics. Normal diodes lasers (670-630nm, 445nm, 405nm) can be modulated at >100MHz without any problems, just make sure to use proper RF design practices in your driver!
    I would go for the 445nm in this case, as it has the most power for the buck and is more visible than a 670nm DVD diode.

If you want to project onto a white screen only, you can also consider 405nm which gives a bit more brightness because of the screen fluorescence.