Thread: Newport 1825-C Power Meter Questions

Default Newport 1825-C Power Meter Questions

Hi

I've recently accquired a Newport 1825-C Power meter. It has an 818-SL semiconductor sensor complete with an 883-SL OD3 attenuator.

Can someone help me with the following questions...

What power levels is the 883-SL sensor suitable for (both with and without the OD3 filter? There is no information on power levels in either the meter manual or the head manual.

In the instruction manual (page 'x'), when setting the range switch, it says 'Full scale measurement (divide value by calibration factor mantissa)'. Can someone please explain to me what the 'mantissa' is as i've never heard of this term before?

If there is anyone out there with one of these meters who could explain in simple terms how to use it correctly I would greatly appreciate it. I get the feeling from reading the manual that it's overcomplicating things. I suspect that all I really need to do is switch it on, fire a laser at it and take a reading.

Sorry if i'm being a bit thick here, but i'm used to a Coherent Lasercheck and my simple Andover Holography meter.

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 12-17-2010 at 11:49.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

According to the specs, it looks like 2mW is the max without the OD3 filter.

Model 818-SL Detector Type Semiconductor Spectral Range 400 to 1100 nm Active Diameter 1.13 cm Detector Active Area 1 cm2 Material Silicon Power Density, Average Max w/ Attenuator 2 W/cm2 Power Density, Average Maximum w/o Attenuator 2 mW/cm2 Pulse Energy, Maximum - w/ Attenuator 1 µJ/cm2 Pulse Energy, Maximum - w/o Attenuator 1 nJ/cm2 Uniformity ±2 % Shunt Resistance ≥10 MΩ Calibration Uncertainty 1% @ 400-940nm, 4% @ 941-1100 nm Calibration Uncertainty, w/ Attenuator 1% @ 400-940nm, 4% @ 941-1100nm NEP 0.2 pW/√Hz Reverse Bias, Maximum 3 V Linearity ±0.5 % Connector Type BNC

Edit: Looks like that didn't work at all!

Check the attachment

CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Thanks Ben

15 Chars etc...
    Last edited by Jem; 12-17-2010 at 11:49.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001