Thread: Tablet PC, 445 Scanner, Giant glow screen

Default Tablet PC, 445 Scanner, Giant glow screen

Hello Everyone,
    First time poster here. I'd like to start by say how helpful PL has been for me. Thanks to you all! What I am trying to accomplish seems simple but I am not a software developer so.... What I'd like to be able to do is have some sort of simple paint program for a tablet or touch screen that would take the X-Y pen location and map it to X-Y laser scanner projection. The purpose of this is that I made a giant screen painted with glow in the dark paint that I like to draw on with my blu-ray pointer so i wanted to take it to the next level. I recently built a 1 watt 445 scanner and think it would be neat to be able to use the tablet to tell the scanner where to draw in real time. This could be extended to include various brushes and stamps etc to add jazz to your pictures. i.e. selecting a star and then being able to 'stamp' stars into your image etc. So far I figure it will have some simple paint type interface that reads if and where your pen input is and converts it to a DAC stream for the USB sound card DAC. Then for included shapes each would be a simple .ild file. The pen location would then just apply an X-Y offset based on where you touch and draw the .ild file once centered at that location. I try to think about the DAC stream in terms of sound output so in essence the paint pad would produce sound output or something? There is a nifty app for android called ethereal dialpad that does essentially this. It is a synth that produces difference tones based on where you are touching on the screen. I just need to figure out where to start or what open source projects I might be able to borrow code from.

Let me know what you guys think!

Default Laser painter medialas

Hey and welcome there is a old program called laser painter I have the software and dac sold by Medialas not sure if they sell it any more but this sounds like what you are looking for
    Also most of the software have some type of draw utility with it
    If you can afford the pangolin fb-3 this is the best over-all software hard ware combo for the money. Also if you ever sell it you will not lose much money. They really keep there value Jeff

Default License plate paint. . .

I've never tried this and don't know if would be better than glow-in-the-dark paint or not, but if you've ever shined a laser pointer on an automotive license plate then you know how bright the reflection is. That's caused by the tiny little lenses that form in the paint as it dries - special paint, it reflects light back to its source. I'm not sure whether the light is so directional coming back that only the person holding the laser pointer can see the "show" or whether people who are far from the angle of incidence can see it too. Just a thought.
    Also, if you're going to have the 1 watt of blue laser light stationary on any one spot for very long its got enough power to ignite stuff, so keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Also just a thought.

- Mike (aka RayTracer)

Default More on License Plates

I looked around for sources for reflective paint and found from one unconfirmed source that the reflective background on license plates is applied as a laminate - something like a sticky label - before the embossing and lettering. 3M makes it. . .
    Another unconfirmed source indicates that tiny glass beads are sprayed onto the wet paint to add reflectivity.

Sorry if this is straying a bit far from the ranch topic wise.

I had a similar idea about glowing things. For occasions when there's a lot of UV-lumenous materials in a venue, I'm going to install a fourth, 405nm module (~200-300mw should do) to use it with white and not so white, but UV-sensitive materials.
    As for writing - I read on PL someone used a backlighted table with a webcam and DrLava's LaserCam software to write stuff on walls))) Wanna try that also, that's why ordered a RIYA lite dac.
    Also, Mamba black frame editor has a freehand draw function, and does output the data in realtime. It's a pity it doesn't optimise those points, their amount depends on drawing speed. So it's a bit tricky to draw with mamba.
    But it would be great to have a drawing software which could adjust modulation (brightness) according to pressure applied on pen. LaserSketch! I better register a trademark...

P.S.
    I'm very far from any sort of coding, but something tells me that such a program is an easy one to make. MasterPJ? :-)
    Last edited by Geetone; 12-27-2010 at 13:20.