Thread: Pangolin ST2000 effects

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Question Pangolin ST2000 effects

Does anyone have a collection of favourite effects they use (and would be willing to share)?
    I've been searching for effect collections but can't seem to find any and I wondered why.
    Is it allowed to share them (I don't want to get into that whole copyright brouhaha)?

I can't imagine folks create new effects everytime they make a show so they must have a collection they use time and again.

Just wondering .............

I asked this recently of Bill for QS and provided the position is the same for LD, then you can share shows you create amongst other Pangolin Users. ie as LDS etc files. In fact Pangolin Show Space shows they are encouraging that!

He didn't say this directly, but summising from the other thread on PL about file sharing what you can't do is share them in ILDA or other formats that might allow them to be used in other laser software unless their wholly made up of your own frames. ie. you can't share Pangolin frames with non Pangolin users as the frames are licensed specifically for show use in Pangolin software.

My understanding is conversely, if you create your own frames then you can export shows that soley use them (ie no Pangolin content) anywhere so long as they're comprised soley of your own content.

I would think the same rules apply to effects although with 3 versions of LD its slightly different as I wouldn't imagine you would be allowed to export content exclusive to one version into a another. eg. an LD200oPro exclusive effect in to Basic Version.

Just a thought off the top of my head...

Can't you just open up a random show and look at the effects list, if there's some you like, save them to a 'favourites' file?
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

But as even the most basic LD2000 software can play all shows regardless of the version used to create that show (which is one of the selling points of the LD2000 ) then it would also load the effect (to display it).

To be clear I am only talking about the small effect files themselves , e.g. write out.efs and not frames (to which the effect is applied).

The description (when viewed in Windows) shows each file as "Showtime effect - secure" so maybe sharing isn't allowed.Attachment 22389
    But if it is (and I can't see why it wouldn't be) then where are all those interesting collections?
    Which is my query.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    ...Can't you just open up a random show and look at the effects list, if there's some you like, save them to a 'favourites' file?
    This is what I've started to do now.
    I mstakenly thought that all effects (currently loaded) were saved when you saved the effect file, hence I kept overwriting my ALL.efs file only to be surprised when I reloaded it to find the bog standard selection. DOH!

Incidentally there may be some kind of .ini file which dictates which effects are loaded as standard (unless it's buried in the bowels of the Pangolin code).
    If I could alter that then I could have my own default effects file loaded every time which would save loading up the default file then bringing in particular effects one by one.

Such fun .......

Lightbulb

I first started loading another show's .LDS files into the effects selection box for my show. This gives you access to the effects used in that show. Once you save your show, after using some of the other show's effects, it will save the effects you used into your show. I then use my previouse show's LDS file in the effects window to pull up the effects I used in the previous show; You can open as many files as you want in the effects window and just keep adding to the effects availalbe. Only the ones you use will be saved in your show file so you will want to open other show's files for a few shows until you get all the effects you want...

After a few shows you will start to get tired of searching other shows and start to find it can be easier to make your own; not always, but I am getting more adept at making effects rather than adapting other show's effects, but it took using other show's effects to get to the point where I could make my own. Try it with my Battle show.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin