Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Projector Case by Edison (USA version)

Okay guys, throwing an update out...

I have been reviewing the drawings from Edison and going back over the old groupbuy to get everything figured out. Seeing how much work is involved def makes me want to raise the price but I will stick to my original price. However I will need to add a charge for anodizing the baseplate. Since its not a requirement and the part with be internal the option is up to you ( I will figure out an exact cost when I finish sourcing material ). I was going to get them anodized for free through my work but that offer was taken off the table. All the other panels will still be power coated back since we do that in house.

I will be spending the next few weeks sourcing material and finding the best price so I can still make money while providing everyone with a good case at a good value.

I have decided to stick to the original size that Edison used. It will fit a high powered RGB even with larger modules. The only thing that I couldnt fit in there is some of higher powered multi-watt greens (while still housing high powered blue and red). And since laser modules are continuing to shrink I don't see a big problem unless you want a 5W RGB (I will be building one and fitting in this case but with a few small mods). If you look below hobbybob has come up with a way to fit more into the electronics section.

So anyways, the groupbuy is definentally a go and I will keep everyone updated. Still looking to have them done by the end of Feb.

I don't think I have enough money to purchase all material so I will need money to start ordering. I will send out PM's when I have everything sourced.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    Hey Mike,
    As you can see the laserwave green driver (left upper corner) and the Kvant driver, (middle top) are also too high.
    What i did was just mount the fans on the outside, you don't need to change anything for that. I just raised the projector on rubber feet , 4 cm high and mounted them on the outside. No adjustment is needed for this and you can fit all 3 in a row like this.
    Last edited by MisterWilling; 01-12-2011 at 17:50.

Cool. I am happy without an anodised base, in fact anodising makes drilling a little more difficult anyways.

Update on shipping to Aus?
    This space for rent.

Hi All interested in this groupbuy,

If i find time tonight i will take some closeup pictures of my projector on feet and fans on outside. Maybe even an inside shot of upper en lower part.
    At this moment it's a 1.7W RGB, but newer modules same size would easily provide for 2,5 - 3W (maybe even higher...especially if you use 445nm blue with a very small footprint).

I really like the cases, they're strong, you can always take 1 complete side/front of, without compromising stability of the case, easy to build, nice looking, and relatively compact. Any specific questions ? ask me, i'll be more than happy to answer them.
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Update on shipping to Aus?
    It will be around $110 using standard USPS post.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    It will be around $110 using standard USPS post.
    Cool, with the A$ above the USD, and with all the good things I have heard in this thread regarding this case, please count me IN. How may I pay you the folding stuff?
    This space for rent.

I will do payments will paypal and you will be added to the list as well. I'm thinking I will determine the paypal fees and I'll cover half of the fee and add the other half to the cost (to be somewhat fair to the buyer and seller).

Once I get the material sourced I will send everyone a PM for the payment. I will also give an exact completion date at that point so everyone knows what to expect after the money has left their hands. There will be updates with pictures of the parts as i build them just to keep everyone informed of the progress (similar to how Edison did it).

El Paso, Texas USA and Juarez,Chihuahua Mexico

Super -I'm here in Dallas for a couple days. It's cold here.
    Wiki:The first visible wavelength laser diode was demonstrated by Nick Holonyak, Jr. in 1962.

FS: hi grade SEAL DUST

Please change me from a maybe to confirmed.

On a related note, something I realized that I need is a way to mount the projector on the Global Truss stand that I bought. Basically I need something that bolts to the side of the projector where the handle normally goes, and then sits in the pole on the stand. I'm contemplating taking a wielding class for this, but it might also be something that other folks would need. If I end up making one I'll share the plans or maybe even do a groupbuy. Or maybe MisterWilling to do something to address this and then charge more and make a little more money on this groupbuy.

Mike

I would like to express my interest in 1 of these cases.

*UPDATE*

I am still sourcing material finding the best prices. The extrusion profile (the round non-painted corner parts) is quite expensive from the company Edison used. While its quality material I think I can find a better solution so I don't have to raise the price. I can either use a slight smaller extrusion (20mm or 25mm instead of 30mm) or get an alternative from an American company. It wont affect the strength of the case really since its mainly for holding the covers on. It will require a bit of redesigning but not too much. I plan on CAD modeling the entire case before I build it anyways so there will be less chance of making a mistake and having to rebuild something.

I will get back from vacation around the second of FEB and will start asking for payments and begin manufacturing soon after. The projected completion (end of February) is still valid as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by blowfly View Post
    On a related note, something I realized that I need is a way to mount the projector on the Global Truss stand that I bought. Basically I need something that bolts to the side of the projector where the handle normally goes, and then sits in the pole on the stand. I'm contemplating taking a wielding class for this, but it might also be something that other folks would need. If I end up making one I'll share the plans or maybe even do a groupbuy. Or maybe MisterWilling to do something to address this and then charge more and make a little more money on this groupbuy.

Mike
    Let me know what you come up with, if possible I will add these changes for free. That stand looks nice and I wouldn't mind making this case even more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_freak View Post
    I would like to express my interest in 1 of these cases.
    You have been added, Thanks!