Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: How to fix flicker on my laser projector?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,066

    Default How to fix flicker on my laser projector?

    Hello people!
    i am wondering how i can resolve my laser projector to be flickering alot?

    its a cheapo china laser projector with 500mw, and 15k galvo's.

    is it the galvo's that need upgrading?

    or is the preprogrammed show crap?

    this is the only issue im having so far.

    oh and please dont tell me its my fault the projector is crap etc.
    im happy to upgrade galvo's or do other stuff to help resolve this problem.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 12-22-2010 at 09:25.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    west sussex uk
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    Hello people!
    i am wondering how i can resolve my laser projector to be flickering alot?

    its a cheapo china laser projector with 500mw, and 15k galvo's.

    is it the galvo's that need upgrading?

    or is the preprogrammed show crap?

    this is the only issue im having so far.
    yep all of the above ,
    cheap chinese galvos they say are 15k proberly more like 10k
    these days 30k is the min spec and even they flicker a little depending
    on what you are displaying
    time for you to build yourself a real projector
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    - 30k galvo's
    - Drlava's ILDSOS

    the 30k galvo's is the main priority you should set now

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    Posts
    24

    Default Minimize Flicker

    to minimze flicker, project images with fewer total points.
    Each line is composed of several points that the laser's projected dot rapidly traces.
    there are also blanking points (points where the laser is off but the mirrors move so that the laser's projected dot will be in the right place next time its needed.
    Sometimes several blanking points are placed right on top of each other to give the laser a chance to rest and stabilize before moving again.
    Sometimes several dots are put right on top of one another to create a bright spot.
    All these points added together equal the number of points per frame.
    Creating an image with as few points as possible and the right blanking so that it can be projected without any flicker is a fine art.
    Some software programs to a good job of this. Some allow manual adjustment.
    For your setup, simpler images will help a lot. Keep the points per frame to less than 500 or so. You should be able to develop a rule of thumb for your projector as to how many points per frame you can project without flicker.
    If you are projecting animations, the smoothness of the animations will also be a factor and another subject really.
    If you want to project complicated images upgrading the galvos will help.
    Good Luck. Hope this helps

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayTracer View Post
    to minimze flicker, project images with fewer total points.
    Each line is composed of several points that the laser's projected dot rapidly traces.
    there are also blanking points (points where the laser is off but the mirrors move so that the laser's projected dot will be in the right place next time its needed.
    Sometimes several blanking points are placed right on top of each other to give the laser a chance to rest and stabilize before moving again.
    Sometimes several dots are put right on top of one another to create a bright spot.
    All these points added together equal the number of points per frame.
    Creating an image with as few points as possible and the right blanking so that it can be projected without any flicker is a fine art.
    Some software programs to a good job of this. Some allow manual adjustment.
    For your setup, simpler images will help a lot. Keep the points per frame to less than 500 or so. You should be able to develop a rule of thumb for your projector as to how many points per frame you can project without flicker.
    If you are projecting animations, the smoothness of the animations will also be a factor and another subject really.
    If you want to project complicated images upgrading the galvos will help.
    Good Luck. Hope this helps
    alrighty thanks so much for that post!
    i guess i will purchase software and a dac first then(it was running a build in show).
    i was also recommended a ild sos and dac by drlava as well

    then if its crap i will upgrade my galvo's. but will that be easy? what should i photograph or tell to see if its upgradeable?

    i really like this! i really really like it

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    Posts
    24

    Default Will it be easy?

    Upgrading your galvos might not be too bad if you have some technical skill and a little electrical knowledge. I don't think I can walk you through it but here are a few interesting points:
    1) your galvo position is likely controlled by a signal that swings between -? and +? volts or from 0 to 5 Volts or something like that.
    2) There is a pair of wires going to each galvo's controller to carry the position signal. So a total of 4 wires.
    3) You will probably need to replace everything from that point out including:
    a) two galvo amplifier/controllers (circuit boards that take in the signals from the aforementioned 4 wires and send out signals to a power supply ultimately determining how much juice goes to the galvos)
    b) the power supply which sends power at low voltage and fairly high current to the galvos)
    c) the XY mount for the galvos - a block of aluminum
    d) the galvos themselves
    e) the new galvos should come with the mirrors already attached - you will need to specify what mirrors you want but typically they are supplied for a beam 3 millimeters in diameter. but needless to say, you'll get new mirrors.
    The cost for all this will be surprisingly high. The highest speed available right now is about 60 KPPS*. They cost around $1995 for a pair with the amplifier cards and an XY mount. 30KPPS galvos would be about $1595. Maybe a little less depending on who you get them from, whether they're used etc. I think others on the PL site can give you a better idea on pricing. The above prices are direct from the manufacturer for a one-off order. Sometimes there are group buys made, and these can reduce the price somewhat. There are about 4 or 5 companies making these kinds of scanners as far as I can tell and there is a wide range of prices and performance levels. You will also need a new power supply and I'd say that will be several hundred dollars.

    There is a chance your current amps and power supply can handle a faster set of galvos. You should check, but I think the chances are slim.

    If you are really going to try it you will be exposed to a steep learning curve. You should study the posts and FAQs here. They will be helpful.

    *I think I heard of an 80 KPPS system but can't remember where I heard it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayTracer View Post
    Upgrading your galvos might not be too bad if you have some technical skill and a little electrical knowledge. I don't think I can walk you through it but here are a few interesting points:
    1) your galvo position is likely controlled by a signal that swings between -? and +? volts or from 0 to 5 Volts or something like that.
    2) There is a pair of wires going to each galvo's controller to carry the position signal. So a total of 4 wires.
    3) You will probably need to replace everything from that point out including:
    a) two galvo amplifier/controllers (circuit boards that take in the signals from the aforementioned 4 wires and send out signals to a power supply ultimately determining how much juice goes to the galvos)
    b) the power supply which sends power at low voltage and fairly high current to the galvos)
    c) the XY mount for the galvos - a block of aluminum
    d) the galvos themselves
    e) the new galvos should come with the mirrors already attached - you will need to specify what mirrors you want but typically they are supplied for a beam 3 millimeters in diameter. but needless to say, you'll get new mirrors.
    The cost for all this will be surprisingly high. The highest speed available right now is about 60 KPPS*. They cost around $1995 for a pair with the amplifier cards and an XY mount. 30KPPS galvos would be about $1595. Maybe a little less depending on who you get them from, whether they're used etc. I think others on the PL site can give you a better idea on pricing. The above prices are direct from the manufacturer for a one-off order. Sometimes there are group buys made, and these can reduce the price somewhat. There are about 4 or 5 companies making these kinds of scanners as far as I can tell and there is a wide range of prices and performance levels. You will also need a new power supply and I'd say that will be several hundred dollars.

    There is a chance your current amps and power supply can handle a faster set of galvos. You should check, but I think the chances are slim.

    If you are really going to try it you will be exposed to a steep learning curve. You should study the posts and FAQs here. They will be helpful.

    *I think I heard of an 80 KPPS system but can't remember where I heard it.
    that sounds terrible. i lack technical skills...i know how to screw something loose and then replace it. no idea about volts and soldering...
    Isnt there a tutorial?
    i can get a set of 30kpps scanners for about 260 dollar. and they guarantee that they match the speed or they will return you the money.

    if its a matter of screwing loose and replacing i will do it. and how much time will it take?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    If you really can't assamble it look if a PL member is near or send it over to a trusted one, he might do it for you for free or a little extra cash.

    Or go to a Lem but ask in advance so people have the tools with them and if someone is actually preparing to do it there for you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    If you really can't assamble it look if a PL member is near or send it over to a trusted one, he might do it for you for free or a little extra cash.

    Or go to a Lem but ask in advance so people have the tools with them and if someone is actually preparing to do it there for you.
    plus il have a risc it wont work at all because to low power imput into the projector?
    or did i read that wrong in the post of raytracer.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    plus il have a risc it wont work at all because to low power imput into the projector?
    or did i read that wrong in the post of raytracer.
    - Look for a galvo (don't buy it yet)
    - ask for the specs (amps and wattage)
    - get the specs of your current power supply and laser modules.
    - Start at topic, ask for advice on the power supply and name the specs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •