Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Laser

Default Mystery Laser

Anyone recognise THIS

My guess would be some kind of RF pumped CO2 if it even is a laser. I can't see the "optics" well and they are quite large. I can't tell if that's a gold HR mirror or what.
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 07-17-2007 at 15:50.

Cool

My money is on it being either a copper vapor or Cu-Br laser. Clandestiny may be able to shed some light on it though.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    My money is on it being either a copper vapor or Cu-Br laser. Clandestiny may be able to shed some light on it though.

Adam
    But then what would the heatsinks be for? I don't see any heating element connections.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    My guess would be some kind of RF pumped CO2 if it even is a laser. I can't see the "optics" well and they are quite large. I can't tell if that's a gold HR mirror or what.
    I'll go with that guess too. Maybe a transverse exited CO2 for high power with short length. That could explain the HV parts at two points along its length.

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

hmm interesting, assuming it is a laser, I'll go with some custom/exotic co2
    tube. Even though it is incomplete , it seems to lack a couple a critical requirements for copper vapor. Bromide would be out as it does seem to be a free flowing design vs a sealed cavity. There is usually a electrically isolated section between the cathode end and anode end of a cvl. That area contains the electrodes that pulse the tube- plus the byproduct - heat- is what melts and vaporizes the copper, which is also loaded in that section-
    based on that I would eliminate the copper scenerio and go co2-

Although to be fair to Adam, Metal Vapor is a good guess at first glance

You never know what you will get out of university surplus- UCF near me in Orlando is only one of three universities in the country with a laser and photonics program- I have had the chance to pick up some wicked project lasers over the years, last time was a 20ft long tube of the freeflowing variety with brewster ends bloted to it just like cvl- the cool detail of this piece was it was made of pyrex- yes it was see through clear- if i had bought it it would have made my choice of what to bring to flem next time much easier-
    go big or go home

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

With the distinctive yellow-orange of ZNSE on one end, my bet would be Co2

need a closeup of the windows, but the other end looks like a silicon mirror

need a end on closeup to the yellow mirror at near zero incidence with soft, moderate lighting. the 24.0T (T usually only means torr, or tesla, as measurements) tends to point to co2 or IR something, but the so called capacitors are interesting and atypical of a co2.
    ask him for more pics emailed to you. .

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-17-2007 at 18:24.

Yes, it is a high power co2 laser, capabile of 20kW laser output.
    these are standard issue for Nasa Satalites.

You can blast a hole through a concrete hole with this laser !

just joking, I have no idea what it is......
    hehehehehehe

My gas laser expert suggested that it is a Bulgarian made copper vapor. He mentioned a huge mirror and told me a story about that laser. Most shocking thing is a beam diameter.....more then 1 inch. Also he said that every manufacturer makes own tube design...so it's hard to identify.

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

its lacking a couple of needed provisions for metal vapor, so i will stick to my original post. I own cvls- with the largest having a peak pulse around 650kw -and they are three times the size of that tube with a beam diameter of 6cm.
    The only other possibility is that is a incomplete tube or a failed experimental
    metal vapor project
    go big or go home