Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Greater Community

Thank you also for all of your input on this matter,this does help.
    Peace,Respect

Quote Originally Posted by king4quarter View Post
    Thank you also for all of your input on this matter,this does help.
    Ah, I read the 'auction' thread before this one, or I would had 'said' this here, http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...685#post176685 vs there... Like Jerry said -
    we are re all 'equal', man... everybody does what they can do, and that's cool...

peace...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

LOL, fund raising by committee. Didn't Python do a similar sketch?

YES, we are all equal. Some are more equal than the rest however...
    This space for rent.

Well, not exactly fund raising but you get the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fqjw2J1vI
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

A committee is a dark alley were good ideas are led down and slowly strangled to death.
    This space for rent.

I understand.
    My outcry of this fashion hopefully will teach a lesson between the lines because I don't think this is going to be the first of its kind thread.Hopefully people might just do it in more of a dignified way so that everyone can just hold there heads up high in future.I'm sure you know what I mean.

I don't mind taking the heat of the matter on myself for the greater good of the community and it won't be the first time i do something like this in my life. I hope the lesson is learnt here now so we don't have to go through this again and YES I Respect everyone and there deeds equally.
    Just one more thing I'd like to add because it is not the first time I have read or encounted things like this.If you do something for someone out of a good heart people must forget about it and Karma will do the rest.Nobody owes anyone anything but in saying that if you have helped out mates with whatever and they don't do the same for you,this hurts like a bitch because of the let down and its almost like a betrayal of loyalty.(They should of stepped up to the plate when it counted)I understand this and its not cool.But to those who read this look at Karma now!!!She is kind to those who are true!!

Giving is like forgiving....you must always forget afterwards and the greater blessing will have its place in everyones life afterwards.Everyone will stand in there lot when the time comes and most people come out having become stronger from the things that never killed them.^^^^This is powerful advice and will both humble and build anyone who lives by it.

Peace,love,unity,respect.
    Peace,Respect

Smile

there are those who are actually members of this community and non-members because not everyone can afford the membership.
    Since I am guilty of using the "membership" term in my SELEM posts quite frequently, please allow me to clarify exactly what I mean when I say "membership".

In my mind (and I expect, in the minds of the vast majority of the people here on PL), you are a "member" when you have signed up to the website. That is, you have a user ID and a password. That means your name is listed in the member list, and people can send you private messages. It also means you have the ability to post.

By that definition, everyone that has ever posted on this forum is a member. Likewise, some of the lurkers that have at least taken the time to register with PL are also members, even if they have never posted.

The only "guests" we have here are people who have never registered with the site. And those people are not allowed to post messages. All they can do is read what other members have written.

Now, there may be some confusion, because I frequently say that SELEM is open to PL members and their guests. What I mean by that is that in order to attend, you either need to be signed up with the site, or you need to attend with someone who is. This is more of a liability issue than anything else. If you're not registered with PL, it's likely that you are unfamiliar with lasers, and thus I think it's prudent to have someone with you that can help you look out for your own safety.

The important point is that "membership" has nothing to do with whether you donate money to help support the forums or not. We are all members.
    This is just a backbone for an open discussion between members and non-members.
    Well, the problem is that a "non-member" is by definition someone who has not registered with the site. So they can't participate in the discussion because they can't post.

I think part of the problem is that you have some confusion surrounding the "subscription" service, and what it actually does. A "subscriber" is simply someone who has agreed to pay $10 per month (or more) each month to help support the forums. This monthly charge doesn't give you any special privileges; it just adds a blue highlight to your user name when you post.

Spec set this up to make it easy for people to donate on a monthly basis. Previously, the only way people could donate money was by clicking the "donate" link and going through the PayPal checkout process. With that system, people typically donated larger amounts (say, $50 at a crack), but they also donated less frequently (maybe only once or twice a year). This made for a feast-or-famine problem for Spec, and it was a pain for members to go through the PayPal checkout process each time.

Spec's idea was to roll out a convenient subscription service to allow people to set up a monthly contribution. That would make it easy for the users, since the process is completely automated (it will continue until you tell it to stop, so you don't have to go through the checkout procedure each month), and it would also help Spec's cash flow. And yes, initially he had planned to add "special features" that would be unique to subscribers, but people decided that they didn't need them. We wanted to donate just because it was the right thing to do, not because we wanted special treatment.

Spec came up with the idea of changing the user name to a bold blue font for subscribers all on his own, and that is the one feature that has remained. Beyond that, a subscriber has no additional privileges.

So there really isn't any difference between a subscriber and a non-subscriber. We're all members, and we're all equal. The only "non-members" are guests that have never signed up with the site, and they can't post until they do sign up. (Signing up is of course free.)

Adam

If you really want the bold name and the 'paid subscriber' benefits, you can do it on a non-recurring basis. It'll be a $10 donation to PL and it wouldn't renew unless you choose to do so... Also, since this is done via PayPal, you get reminds well in advance if you want to cancel. Also, it's not automatically recurring unless you select that option yourself IIRC.

Does that make sense?

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Thanks for the input guys.Now the Awareness has also been raised and hopefully those who can do it will now do it.
    Peace,Respect

I understand.
    My outcry of this fashion hopefully will teach a lesson between the lines because I don't think this is going to be the first of its kind thread.Hopefully people might just do it in more of a dignified way so that everyone can just hold there heads up high in future.I'm sure you know what I mean.

I don't mind taking the heat of the matter on myself for the greater good of the community and it won't be the first time i do something like this in my life. I hope the lesson is learnt here now so we don't have to go through this again and YES I Respect everyone and there deeds equally.
    Just one more thing I'd like to add because it is not the first time I have read or encounted things like this.If you do something for someone out of a good heart people must forget about it and Karma will do the rest.Nobody owes anyone anything but in saying that if you have helped out mates with whatever and they don't do the same for you,this hurts like a bitch because of the let down and its almost like a betrayal of loyalty.(They should of stepped up to the plate when it counted)I understand this and its not cool.But to those who read this look at Karma now!!!She is kind to those who are true!!

Giving is like forgiving....you must always forget afterwards and the greater blessing will have its place in everyones life afterwards.Everyone will stand in there lot when the time comes and most people come out having become stronger from the things that never killed them.^^^^This is powerful advice and will both humble and build anyone who lives by it.

Peace,love,unity,respect.
    I agree.

It is far far better to give, than to receive.
    This space for rent.