Thread: Flexmod's killing them

Default Flexmod's killing them

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue, I am trying to find out what I might be doing wrong. I don't think I am though. I have seven of these in service and working fine. I have had (2) failures though and am unsure why.

When first setup works perfect no problem, then after a power cycle the output jumps noticeable and you can not turn the bias all the way down it still will glow, you can turn the bias up though then back down just not all the way down. This is followed by if you continue to us it, it outputs 1.5a or rated current of supply across the diode with the red protection light on.

Looking for ideas of what the cause maybe. In both cases I have swapped in another flexmod and been fine with them since. It just seems so weird that I now have lost (2) the same way and they have been on different power supplies.

Could high intensity lighting or my 3phase converter be putting some electrical system noise through the house?

Ideas?
    Last edited by polishedball; 12-28-2010 at 16:47.
    leading in trailing technology

Yeah, they've been dying on me as well. I doubt it's something I'm doing because I never had as many failures with the FM2's. I haven't had the time to research the issue but I do see the same.

Hi guys, each driver is tested at the assembler for function and safety, however it's possible that a component may fail between then and now, due to external factors or just a weak part from the factory.

If you are having an issue with one of your drivers, please contact me and inspection and repair can be arranged. I don't want to see anyone letting their issue go just because it it inexpensive. That means you too, 300!

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Hi guys, each driver is tested at the assembler for function and safety, however it's possible that a component may fail between then and now, due to external factors or just a weak part from the factory.

If you are having an issue with one of your drivers, please contact me and inspection and repair can be arranged. I don't want to see anyone letting their issue go just because it it inexpensive. That means you too, 300!
    I sent one that failed like this to you about a month ago. I have sent you multiple PM's about it and you have never replied?
    Please let me know you are getting my messages.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post

Yeah, I figured you had them pass QC before they left. I thought I was doing something wrong at first. Shit happens though. Anyway, yeah, I'll send you a PM. I need these possibly fixed and a few more units.
    Thanks!
    Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

A slight suggestion,

Guys, its winter, consider static fields and get the humidity up when working on these things.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    A slight suggestion,

Guys, its winter, consider static fields and get the humidity up when working on these things.

Steve
    We don't have that problem here, cold though

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Do please elaborate on the issues at hand. I would like to know if the root of this has been found. I would hate to kill another's diode. Is there any specific warning? Only occurs when being sent a modulation signal? In holding pattern until a solution is found.......DrLava?? Possible ESD issues? External causes ?
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Just curious. Are these experiencing problems running a modulation common wire to the GND of the Flexmod? I am wondering if the issue is due to ground currents.
    This space for rent.