Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumia Effect Switching via DMX Servo

Default Lumia Effect Switching via DMX Servo

Hey Guys and Gals,
    I had a thought regarding the arrangement of a lumia projector layout that might be a simple way to allow multiple effect switching without the need for multiple channels/actuators. I whipped up a quick Visio drawing that shows what I was thinking of trying. The main idea is to use the swing of a single DMX controlled servo to position the beam to the desired effect. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, so I might try it out. If anyone has tried this before with any notable pros/cons, I would be interested to hear about it.

The main thing I see at first is that it would be nice to toggle the shutter any time that the servo is moving from one position to another. That would avoid the potential for flashing/scrolling thru the effects, rather than being able to transition from one to the next in a clean way. I'll goof with it and see what happens...

Thanks, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails angles.png  

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

hey, you used one of my lumia pictures

if you could maintain servo accuracy, there's no reason this wouldn't work. i have a multi-wheel/multi-aperture device (courtesy of dslijon) that's pretty much exactly what you've pictured.

you could always blank the beams by cutting modulation current or add a servo with a blanking flag before the beam hits the wheel select servo.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,
    I had a thought regarding the arrangement of a lumia projector layout that might be a simple way to allow multiple effect switching without the need for multiple channels/actuators. I whipped up a quick Visio drawing that shows what I was thinking of trying. The main idea is to use the swing of a single DMX controlled servo to position the beam to the desired effect. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, so I might try it out. If anyone has tried this before with any notable pros/cons, I would be interested to hear about it.

The main thing I see at first is that it would be nice to toggle the shutter any time that the servo is moving from one position to another. That would avoid the potential for flashing/scrolling thru the effects, rather than being able to transition from one to the next in a clean way. I'll goof with it and see what happens...

Thanks, Mike
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    hey, you used one of my lumia pictures
    Cool- I just did a quick Google image query on "Laser Lumia" and borrowed a few thumbs out of the top hits that I liked
    I have one of the same kits from Jon & I'm getting ready to play with it soon- that's cool you noticed the inspiration. This should be fun
    -Mike

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Cool- I just did a quick Google image query on "Laser Lumia" and borrowed a few thumbs out of the top hits that I liked
    I have one of the same kits from Jon & I'm getting ready to play with it soon- that's cool you noticed the inspiration. This should be fun
    -Mike
    i'm a big fan of old school lumia effects. here's a writeup on a lumia projector i completed recently.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...804#post173804
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hey Sir Mike -

Very cool-design! ...the only 'limitation' I see (...like you *asked* vs the 'classic' 4-position port-style, ie:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_LumiaBox_RoughLayout.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	22622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05_LumiaBox_Innards.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	22621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08_LumiaBox_LumiaSectn.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	22623

... is 'port sharing', where with the beam centered down the 'beam-rail', you can put more than 1 actuator 'up' at a time, and by using flags with 50/50 (or 70/30, etc) dichro, you can 'blend' 2 or more... ie: say, one position has a lumia wheel - the other has the 'dimple tube', overlaying...

..But yes, your design is simpler, less-costly / complicated to get going and very unique...melike...

Looking forward to pix...
    peas...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

There are dmx-to stepper boards that let you control the axis over dmx.
    This gives you much better repeatability. For best results use a 200 steps motor.

I would also place the bounce mirrors in such a way that you can't shoot between them.

That's a good point- The more I read about RC servos, the less impressed I am. It seems like the "micro" ones (like I have) seem to have even less resolution than "regular" sized RC servos. I might end up making my own interface with an Arduino to get what I need- we'll see.
    -Mike

I don't think servos are that accurate/repeatable

but it would be nice to avoid costly actuators etc

Hi
    For those that may consider using Radio Control (RC) servos.
    Not all servo's or manufacturers are created equal here. The cheap ones can vary quite a bit however you can get, very easily, high accuracy and high speed bearing servos as used by serious helicopter and top end aerobatic pattern ships etc.
    Consider using good brands like Futaba, JRC etc avoid anything cheap.
    Most are PWM modulated usually with 1 - 2 ms pulse width. (1.5ms centre or neutral)
    The good ones are really good the bad ones are bad. It would be unwise to say all RC servo's are inaccurate. When you say servo its like saying "car".. what model, what detail what price... u gets what you pay for.
    You could even gyro stabilise at high speed if you had the need.
    Winch servo's may have application in Lumia as motors ??
    Also worth looking at maybe is the Tamiya "gear boxes" they are dirt cheap and you can make them up to a number of different speeds.. even have dc motors so control is a breeze.

Take a look at the various websites.. Tamiya, Futaba, JRC etc..

Cheers

Ray

Great info Ray! Its too bad the hobby store near me closed- I might see if there is another one around town. I'm kicking myself for throwing away a box of stuff that I know contained no less than 2 Futaba servos when I moved recently.
    I need to track down a few more parts and get cracking on this.
    -Mike