Thread: Will a Flexmod work with a DPSS?

Default Will a Flexmod work with a DPSS?

Greetings, all;

After lurking here for a coupla years, I'm finally able to start my first RGB jobbie.
    My thanks for all the incredible info people have posted here; I'll try to start contributing more now that I am underway.

I've got my blue and red sorted, but have a question about green:
    O-Like has a new 400mw jobbie for $319. I was contemplating getting this and replacing the driver with a flexmod.

http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main...products_id=95

Would this work? In other words, will a Flexmod work with a DPSS? I think there are non-linearities between the pump diode and the final output - can this be worked around?

I'll post build pix soon.

Thanks to all, and Happy New Year!

...Mike

It'll work, but ....
    For continuous operation, stability and lineairity a dpss needs a TEC (or two)
    A flexmod has no TEC- driver.
    And I'm not sure this unit even has a TEC in the first place...

By the looks of the driver board, it probably doesn't have a TEC. Just passively cooled. I've ran many DPSS heads off of FlexMod's, Works great!

Default Mean Green

Thanks for the info, Mr. 300.

This looks like a pretty good deal. I intend to tear it apart, remove the old driver, fab a big-ass block of aluminum as a heat sink, sit that on a TEC and let 'er rip. Driven by a flexmod, of course.

Thanks...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mgould View Post
    Thanks for the info, Mr. 300.

This looks like a pretty good deal. I intend to tear it apart, remove the old driver, fab a big-ass block of aluminum as a heat sink, sit that on a TEC and let 'er rip. Driven by a flexmod, of course.

Thanks...Mike
    The only thing I'd suggest is to not deviate too far past the original current of the pump diode with stock driver. Passively cooled DPSS rigs tend to burn up quickly if they are pumped too hard. Use a power meter to set it if possible. Once the output is set close to what the original output was, try rotating the diode or crystal set and see if you get a few extra mW from tweaking the polarization.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i measure the current to the laser head with the original driver then set the flexmod to the same current.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    The only thing I'd suggest is to not deviate too far past the original current of the pump diode with stock driver. Passively cooled DPSS rigs tend to burn up quickly if they are pumped too hard. Use a power meter to set it if possible. Once the output is set close to what the original output was, try rotating the diode or crystal set and see if you get a few extra mW from tweaking the polarization.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.