Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 445 General Zod Quad

Nice design layout....but you will need another set of prisms to get the other ploarity beam to come into profile with the other...unless I missed something...OK I see the waveplate...sorry....been a long day and I have to go back out.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Default In a Dogs' World......Milk Bones are da Schizz

Yea....General Zod is my Hero....right up there with Gort !!!!

Mike....Glad you Like....haha...see...everything rhyms !!

And.......The attached pic is what Terrawatt has in mind !!! hahaha

CDBEAM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 445nm burnthru Milk Bone 6 with flame.png  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 01-04-2011 at 17:42.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Default Progress on THE GENERAL ZOD QUAD

The Zygote proceeds to Embryo !!! The ZOD QUAD is coming to life !!! Slowly…See the attached pics !!! Dave from Laser Show Parts supplied the initial design. I have placed the components as close as possible…leaving some adjustment room between the four (4) diode holders for lateral adjustment.
    The base plate will be a solid Copper slab: 152.4mm long by 101.6mm wide by 12.5mm thick ( 6”x4”x1/2”). Total unit weight was not a targeted parameter !!! While many combinations are possible, I chose for the drivers to reside on the base plate. This choice was made because I want the base plate to double as a heatsink for the drivers. With the use of the waveplate, I should be able to use the PBS to combine/overlay : plus : and produce a very compact and tight beam going into the prisms for final expansion of the slow axis to achieve best beam profile achievable in a quad design. We shall see !!! The proof will be in the final beam shots….as it should be!!
    Thanks to Dave, Simon and Andrew !!! And a special thanks goes to Simon for getting me hooked into the purchase of an Mini End Mill. Yet another very expensive hobby !!! I machined the Waveplate holder as my first real project !!! You are looking at a VERY,VERY expensive holder !!! I do not know if I will need addition TE cooling?? Unknown?? Stay tuned for more Laser fun !!!
    CDBEAM/Terrawatt Labs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP holder V 1.7.JPG  

Quad 44.JPG  

2011-04-28_22.17.07.jpg  

Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Cool. I would be concerned about the heat your dumping in to the base plate from the P3's. If I was you and wanted to keep this layout, I would carefully set the PSU to just a few volts above the LD/P3 requirement to minimize thermal dissipation.

Is that your WP mounting block? I want one!!!! Nice job!
    This space for rent.

Looking sweet bob

KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Default One Hobby Bifurcates into another hobby !!

Yes, Thanx !! I really enjoy machining !!! See attached additional pics !! One pic is of the Waveplate holder. The WP I got from Dave looks VERY good and looks very nice in its new Brass home !!!

And that one Waveplate holder only cost .......Sheeeez !!!

Dnar....as far as P3 heat...Well I want over 5W of blue out the front end...AFTER optics....so I think I will need about 5.5W before optics....So....I will likely need to drive each diode @ 1500mA....One driver will power two (2) LD's. I must check my P3 info sheet as to what imput voltage will be most efficient at this output demand. Any thoughts as to the best input voltage ????The Mosfet of each driver will be thermal pasted and bolted to the Copper slab. Even with that mass of Copper...I will still need to dump heat to atmosphere...,possibly I should machine grooves into the bottom of the CU slab....and then mount 2~3 smaller CPU fans to the finned surface??? Probobally ALL this depends how hard everything will be pushed !!!! With a beam show useage in mind....not too much modulation !!!! Kinda all full out !!! So....I am concerned about thermal managment !!! I would prefer to not use TE units...and stick with CU and fans !! We shall see !!! Any thoughts from anyone ?????

Thanks,
    CDBEAM and Terrawatt !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-04-24_21.45.32.jpg  

WP holder V 1.8.JPG  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 04-29-2011 at 06:31. Reason: Spelling Duh !!

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Yes, Thanx !! I really enjoy machining !!! See attached additional pics !! One pic is of the Waveplate holder. The WP I got from Dave looks VERY good and looks very nice in its new Brass home !!!

And that one Waveplate holder only cost .......Sheeeez !!!

Dnar....as far as P3 heat...Well I want over 5W of blue out the front end...AFTER optics....so I think I will need about 5.5W before optics....So....I will likely need to drive each diode @ 1500mA....One driver will power two (2) LD's. I must check my P3 info sheet as to what imput voltage will be most efficient at this output demand. Any thoughts as to the best imput voltage ????The Mosfet of each driver will be thermal pasted and bolted to the Copper slab. Even with that mass of Copper...I will still need to dump heat to atmosphere...,possibly I should machine grooves into the bottom of the CU slab....and then mount 2~3 smaller CPU fans to the finned surface??? Probobally ALL this depends how hard everything will be pushed !!!! With a beam show useage in mind....not too much modulation !!!! Kinda all full out !!! So....I am concerned about thermal managment !!! I would prefer to not use TE units...and stick with CU and fans !! We shall see !!! Any thoughts from anyone ?????

Thanks,
    CDBEAM and Terrawatt !!!
    If you consider 5V per diode (actually around 4.5V) that's 20V in series. The Flexmod P3 requires a minimum of 1.5V however a little more is recommended. A 24V supply should therefore be ideal for 4 x 445nm in series, and will allow for a little volt drop in wiring. This is the maximum rating for the P3 BTW.

@ 1500mA, your looking at around 6W dissipation from the P3, which is capable of 25W with adequate heat sinking. If you consider that each diode is going to dissipate approximately 5W (20W total), the P3 will produce less heat than the 4 diodes will. But consider this, the diodes will dissipate heat proportional with modulation, the P3 will dissipate heat inversely proportional to modulation so the heat sources across your plate will vary with use and this is how warping, twisting no matter how slight will throw out your optical alignment. No material "walks" like aluminum does!!!

A total of 26W (20W from LD's and 6W from P3) heat is fairly significant in terms of passive cooling. Are you sure a TEC is not the best solution?

So did you design/machine that WP holder?

BTW, as you don't have adjustment of LD3 (the only LD to hit the PBS directly) you might find this tricky to align. I was planning a new 6 LD build with all LD's bouncing of Flexmounts to cure this. You could alter your design like this to suit a quad:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sextuplet Laser.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	24737
    Last edited by dnar; 04-28-2011 at 21:35.
    This space for rent.

very well said mr dnar!!

at the required power, if you wire in series you will max out the flexmod input voltage and if you wire in parallel you will exceed the output current. so series is the only way to go (you are lucky here that the 445s are case isolated cans)

and i want a wp mount too!!!!! really sexy looking little thing. well done
    "its called character briggs..."

Yes but if you look he's using 2 x P3's like I am in my quad - each driving a series pair. Mine rune fine on 12V supply (adjusted to 13.6V).

Nice redundancy in case of diode / driver fail - still have blue beam.

I do plan on mounting my P3's to my chassis baseplate though rather than diode assy / base so less heat in module.

Quote Originally Posted by dilbert View Post
    Yes but if you look he's using 2 x P3's like I am in my quad - each driving a series pair. Mine rune fine on 12V supply (adjusted to 13.6V).

Nice redundancy in case of diode / driver fail - still have blue beam.

I do plan on mounting my P3's to my chassis baseplate though rather than diode assy / base so less heat in module.
    Well spotted. Total dissipation will remain about the same, if not a little more.
    This space for rent.