Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 445 General Zod Quad

On the heat front, I can only reinforce the view that avoiding TECs where possible will make your life simpler in overall cooling.

I've been having a few conversations in the last few weeks with people who have been experiencing overheating issues with DPSS heads caused by excessive heat being generated from specific individual components (galvo drivers and TEC cooled diode modules mainly)

Even with good airflow and heatsinking, a TEC can make additional problems you don't really need.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Default Thanks Gents

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monkey_Thanks Gents.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	24742

Thanx !!! (Above pic is how Terrawatt sees her master !!!) I really appreciate your comments.
    I have considered changing from Copper to Aluminium for the base plate. Copper is a ROYAL PITA to machine....but looks very good !!! The end game is to dump heat to atmosphere !!!( Via fins and fans )...NOT store heat in a Copper slab. What do you think ??? Copper or Aluminium ??? I will machine fins on either one and use at least two small CPU fans to dump heat. CU has much more thermal conductivity....but is very heavy !!! But...considering I already have the Copper...and truly want to avoid the need for TE....mmmmm ????? Thanx !! ( Dnar...nice design on the 6 Pac and yes...I designed and machined the WP holder ... and will CU walk less than Aluminium ??)

CDBEAM/Terrawatt
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 04-29-2011 at 06:28. Reason: additions
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Copper expands about 25% less than Aluminum.

What about brass? Since the everything is made out of brass i would choose brass like all mayor companies do. They invented the wheel already so i we go a different way.
    Looks quite professional design. I agree with Dnar its better to mount the flexmods on a baseplate

Please deploy a nice, big 40 x 40 mm TEC chip under that beast...
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Default Well...I will...If a Hafta !!!

Hi Mike,

Yes....I know you are huge on thermal managment !! I should note that I thankfully copied the Thermal managment system for my RGB projector ( Projector One ) from MechEng3 !!! And it works perfectly !!! It uses Auberins PID Temp controllers, TE units mounted between the Laser head platform and fan boosted fin heatsinks, SO...that is the way I went on that !!

All I can do is attempt to be several steps ahead of the game !! I will prepare the base plate to be completely ready for two (2) 40 x 40 TE units. I therefore will not machine the bottom of the base plate but will find the proper size finned heatsink and bolt it directly to the baseplate bottom and will use two fans attached to the fin side of the HS. If need be, I could then loosen the HS and slip in the TE units.

So...the stackage would be;

LD/P3
    Baseplate
    (TE if needed)
    Ally finned heat sink
    CPU fans

This is OK too !!! For I was not really looking forward to machining 16 @ 3/8" slots into the baseplate @ 3/8" deep...although this would give the most compact stackage.

Well, I will be prepared for all contigiencies !!! Sometimes you just have to build it....and sees what ya get !!!!

CDBEAM and Terrawatt
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 04-29-2011 at 17:34. Reason: Spelling
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Mr Cdbeam and TW, besides providing a mirror/flexmount per diode for adjustment, another good tip someone gave me here was to mount the mirrors at 45degrees on the mounts, so that the mounts can be slid forward/backward as required.

This is my revised quad layout, fine tweaked the drawing tonight.

Name:	Quad Laser.png 
Views:	185 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	24798
    This space for rent.

Default To TE or not to TE...that is the question ?

OK....3.5W OF HEAT PER 445 LD ...Sheeezzz Like I said...if I am forced to TE the ZQuad...I will !!! But I will first try the massive CU slab...coupled with two (2) CU finned heat sinks attached to the bottom of the base plate. The heat sinks measure 2.56" x 3.5" x .85"...see attached pic. These heatsinks will then be cooled with two (2) fans.

GET THE HEAT AWAY from the LD...THEN...DUMP that heat to atmosphere...that is the goal !!

I will adjust the P3 current according to the combined output goal of 5.5W. If I see more than 30C...I will THEN fall back to TE option. That seems simple enough !!!

As far as a redesign of the ZQuad....When I built Projector #1...I found that by setting up the Green alignment first...and laying in Red and Blue to follow the alignment of the Green...all went very smooth !!! So LD3 will be the main...and LD1,2 and 4 will follow the lead of LD3 !!! We will see...The fun is the doing and learning !!

CDBEAM and TerrawattClick image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.bmp 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	24860
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 05-03-2011 at 19:30. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    OK....3.5W OF HEAT PER 445 LD ...Sheeezzz Like I said...if I am forced to TE the ZQuad...I will !!! But I will first try the massive CU slab...coupled with two (2) CU finned heat sinks attached to the bottom of the base plate. The heat sinks measure 2.56" x 3.5" x .85"...see attached pic. These heatsinks will then be cooled with two (2) fans.

GET THE HEAT AWAY from the LD...THEN...DUMP that heat to atmosphere...that is the goal !!

I will adjust the P3 current according to the combined output goal of 5.5W. If I see more than 30C...I will THEN fall back to TE option. That seems simple enough !!!

As far as a redesign of the ZQuad....When I built Projector #1...I found that by setting up the Green alignment first...and laying in Red and Blue to follow the alignment of the Green...all went very smooth !!! So LD3 will be the main...and LD1,2 and 4 will follow the lead of LD3 !!! We will see...The fun is the doing and learning !!

CDBEAM and TerrawattClick image for larger version. 

Sounds like a plan. I wait in anticipation of your results Mr CD and Mr TW.
    This space for rent.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post

Now THAT is a heatsink...