Thread: Vintage Bell Labs Laser Parts

Default Vintage Bell Labs Laser Parts

Today I took delivery of a pair of laser resonator mirror mounts which I believe to be from the mid to late '60s. They went from a long time Bell labs scientist, to a retired engineer/science teacher in a high school, to one of his students to build a laser at home, and finally to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell Labs Mirror Mounts.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	589.0 KB 
ID:	22708

In the mount to the rear, you can see the name "T. J. Bridges" stamped into its top edge. I've looked him up and see he was an early researcher at Bell Labs working with flowing CO2 lasers, amongst many other things. I've found an email for him and am awaiting a response. Anyway, here's a picture of C.K.N. Patel at his first CO2 laser, showing the same type mirror mounts on it!

Name:	Bell Mounts on Laser.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	737.1 KB 
ID:	22709

Now I have to find out how many of this type of mount were made by Bell back then, and what was this particular set used for? In any case, they're a great bit of gas laser history, and will make fine shelf supports in a glass doored display cabinet full of other '60s lasers, artifacts and books, at least until I find a period plasma tube to place between them.

Here's another, much more recent picture of Dr. Patel with his laser. Notice the second resonator behind the one in front. So I know at least three sets exist.

Name:	Patel's Laser.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	22710
    Last edited by Eidetic; 01-03-2011 at 18:58.

Nice bit of history there Bob. I enjoy reading your posts and looking at the pictures.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001