Thread: Focus Laser Diode With Cylindrical Microlames?

Default Focus Laser Diode With Cylindrical Microlames?

Anyone ever tried this? I haven't seen it discussed. Searched, came up empty.

http://www.doriclenses.com/lire/42.html

Solves the problem of turning rectangular spot round. It would replace the apparently more common dual prism solution but not sure its any better.

do i get this right? is it a GRIN and a cylindrical lens? then maybe they do the job far better than a prism set, but the glass and mounts cost a small fortune (and they are really tiny as well)

it is a good read though, thanks!
    "its called character briggs..."

I think the current cyl-lens set and the dual prism solutions are about the limit of what could be *reasonably* aligned by an *average* hobbyist by hand.

Beyond this, you'll be needing things like a microscope, downflow cabinet, uv curing epoxy, micro manipulators and so on. Some of us just don't have access to these things.
    The initial investments in the proper tools to implement micro rod and grin lenses successfully are just not feasible on a hobbyist level.

Which doesn't mean that at some point a clever individual could manage it, it just never will get 'main stream'.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Which doesn't mean that at some point a clever individual could manage it...
    Or a display laser manufacturer who is willing to spend $10K of his R&D budget on it.

In that case, say bye, bye DPSS.

10k$ ???
    What planet are you from ?

If my boss would ask me to investigate and report the potentials of microlames for collimating laser diodes. (for whatever reason, not gonna happen anytime soon)

I would at least need:
    - One month of labour.
    - An esd- workstation
    - a laminar downflow cabinet
    - a microscope preferably with ccd&lcd
    - uv curing lightsource
    - professional ld-driver
    - beam profiler
    - laser powermeter
    - micromanipulators
    - access to micromaching workshop

Some things may be of the shelf, some not, 10k is not going to cut it, by far.
    That's no bragtalk, that's how professional research is done.

In that case, say bye, bye DPSS.
    I don't get how a lensing solution can ever be the end of dpss lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Some things may be of the shelf, some not, 10k is not going to cut it, by far.
    That's no bragtalk, that's how professional research is done.
    I wasn't trying to coin that figure as a serious R&D budget. More as a figure that an 'enthousiast individual' might not have as spare change

If the payoff is worth it, a commercial party will probably look into it.

Most of what you are mentioning is pretty much standard tooling for any electronics or optronics developing company. (Heck, even my bench is an ESD workstation)

I don't get how a lensing solution can ever be the end of dpss lasers.
    They will have their uses. But the terrible beam profile is pretty much the biggest drawback of a direct 445nm diode as opposed to a DPSS blue, where it also has a lot of advantages over solid-state lasers. When there is a good solution for a diode laser with perfect beam characteristics, DPSS will fall into a niche market like ions are right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    When there is a good solution for a diode laser with perfect beam characteristics, DPSS will fall into a niche market like ions are right now.
    When, when, when hell freezes over. Maybe when highpower singlemode diodes come falling from the sky.

You've been around here long enough to know what a beam parameter product is. The is no magical lensing solution that will make a multimode diode rival de m-squared of a dpss. Besides that, fixing astigmatism is something else than fixing beam quality.