Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New projector build

Default New projector build

Hi all-

So I am thinking of juicing up my Christmas display with a homebuilt laser projector. I'll be using it outside, most likely doing graphics on a 1/4 acre snowfield. I've been reading the posts for a week now and read Rick's excellent book on building an RGB projector. So the thinking is:
    DT40 pro
    Pangolin Quick show for the DAC
    I got a quote from CNI:
    MRL-III-640nm-400mW with 10% stability, analog 10K, PSU-V-OEM/Unit USD715.00
    MGL-III-532nm-250mW with 10% stability, analog 10K, PSU-III-OEM/Unit USD300.00
    MBL-III-FS-473nm-250mW with 10% stability, analog 10K, PSU-III-OEM/Unit USD1100.00

The price for the green unit is great--but red and blue-- glup! In the book Rick doubles up on the red diodes--
    would two 200mW diodes at that wave length do the trick, or ask for a quote for 655 ? Bear in mind the show is going to
    be outside--and yes I know about the FAA regs and all. I am a pilot. Thanks for the help.

sure you want to build one yourself?

Yep--I've built an airplane. A laser projector would not be too difficult for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    Yep--I've built an airplane. A laser projector would not be too difficult for me.
    You could build the red and blue modules yourself and save a heap of money.

For instance a 1W 445nm blue with good corrective optics could be built for <$200
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Yep, that is what I did. 445 for $280 in a B&K/CNI lab housing with correction prisms, quad 900mW 660nm for $250. 300mW (actually 400mW+) CNI green 30K analog for USD280.

Lot's of labor/research/planning/experimenting/waiting instead of $$$.
    This space for rent.

Boy, that sounds like the way to go. Any help (older threads) where I can get the diodes and associated materials? I'm all up for experimentation. I'm a scientist, so that's up my alley. Thanks for the help.

Components such as the diode mounts, prism pairs etc can be found in the group buys section, previous 445 builds can be found in the 445 section.

You just need to go digging through threads TBH.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Thanks, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    Bear in mind the show is going to
    be outside--and yes I know about the FAA regs and all. I am a pilot.
    So long as the beams are terminated on the ground or a wall, the show is on private property, and you're not charging admission, you should be OK with regard to regulations. (Also, it's not only the FAA you need to worry about, but the CDRH as well.)

Boston is a good ways north of our usual Laser Enthusiast's Meeting locations, but even so it would probably be worth your while to make a road trip to either North Carolina or Tennessee for one of the upcoming LEM's. You'll be able to see several home-built projectors, and you can chat up the folks that built them. Great learning experience for a would-be do-it-yourselfer.

Check the Meet and Greet sub-forum for dates and details.

Adam

Thanks for the info Adam. I've gotten invaluable information for the forum. I'm in the process of buying all the raw materials for the RGB scanner build. I negotiateda price from CNI for a 400mW 30,000 green laser based on what others on the forum paid for theirs. I've also purchased 8 660 can diodes, and 2 445 diodes, pbs, flexmods, and mirrors based on other peoples designs. I'm looking forward to putting it all together and post the pictures online. What fun!