Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building my quad

Default Building my quad

Hello guys

I,m about to start with using my brass blocks to build a quad setup with telescope. I have two diffent type of lenses that i can use for collimating the diodes. The brass block will be mounted on a Tec. I can,t isolate the diodes from eachother so i want to run them parallel like DNar his quad. I think he uses a 1 ohm resistor to run them parallel. I have some Lasever drivers to use to power this setup but its a Negative side driver but i have also a flexmodP3 availaible.

Could someone give me some info on the resistor that i need to run them parallel and also if my setup is mounted on a Tec plate and so its isolated from the baseplate can i use my lasever driver for it?

Thanks guys i hope you can help me with this.

Here is a picture from my setup and the driver that i used for powering the blues that i want to run 4 diodes parallell or should i go with the highside flexmodP3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1080991.JPG  

P1080892.JPG  

You own one of the best 6 channel high side drivers with tec control you can find. (picodrive)

why bother going the crappy way with balance resistors etc. if one of the diodes makes a bad contact are fail all others diodes are getting too much current (and probably do harm).

The resistors are only to balance the current over the diodes, value is not critical.

if you cannot insulate your diode between them..hight side driver is necessary.

If the diodes are insulated your driver is ok...but sorry no idea for the resistor (I prefer 1 driver for 1 diode)

I would like to know the watts that the resistor needs to be. I have a flexmod so i can run them parallel. Maybe i skip the tec part for now because i want to have it ready for the next Lem. I have 4 very good lenses but i prefer a telescope. I can fit in a small telescope in my housing so the beam will be very tight. Its just a project for fun

Default resistors

Hi edison
    I use 2ohm 1/2w resistors in my builds
    For reds and 1.5w with blues
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Thanks Badger. 0.5 watt seems to me enough. I use the LPC 822 and planning them to run each between 350 ma and 400ma. Its just a fun project and probably for sale when i,m satisfied with the beamspecs. I will go to the metalshop to get the baseplate done. I will use the flexmod to drive this baby and will use a simple tec driver to cool this one.

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Thanks Badger. 0.5 watt seems to me enough. I use the LPC 822 and planning them to run each between 350 ma and 400ma.
    Won't that burn out the resistor in the long term?
    P=IV and all that...
    e.g. >~1W for reds?
    & >~5W for blues?
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

when using open cans i use a 1.1ohm resistor
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy, could tell me what the watts are from your resistor? 0.5 watt seems enough but better be safe....