Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings

Howdee Buffo.

Man that sounds totally cool. If you can give me a list of those dyes (what they're called) and where to go looking for them I'd really appreciate it. Are they available elsewhere from ebay? I'm definitely interested in doing this.

I'm following up on Liteglow's advice and picking up a green laser pointer from Vital Spirit. Tried placing an order yesterday but their voicemail was full so I'm going to call again tomorrow.

Are there any particular brands of higher output green lasers you guys have picked up that are recommended? Liteglow mentioned a 300mW laser head but I don't know who makes them or where to buy.

Hi Mean;

There are several DPSS lasers to choose from in the 100-300mw range. Vashio, Lambda pro, and Lasever are some of the cheaper imported brands. Talk to Spec about it - he can probably get you a good deal on an imported laser. Watch e-bay too - there are deals to be had there as well.

As for a source of fluorescent dyes, you really can't beat E-bay. Sure, you can find them for sale at places like Edmund Scientific, but you'll pay a fortune...

Have a look at this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7593367748 He's got a collection of 6 dyes there that should be fun to play with. (The optical brightener won't be of much use - it absorbs UV and gives off blue...)

Fluorescein dye is the only one I've messed around with, but Rhodamine should be good for some interesting effects too. Just remember to wear gloves and always use as little as possible. I'm not kidding - a DROP of dye in a liter of water is usually all you'll need!

Be sure to post some pics when you getyour pointer from Vital Spirit...

Oh, and where are you located? Any chance you are in the South East US? (your profile isn't filled out...)

Adam

Buffo that was good stuff. Thanks a bunch. I'll look into this for sure.

I'm located in the SF bay area, on the North end. California wine country. Great place to be if you're a booze hound like me. It's like putting a rabbit into a carrot patch...

I will post a bunch more pics up on my DevArt page as soon as I get some new gear together. Right now I'm considering buying a new digital camera with a special macro lens for better up close shots in low light. I've been using an Olympus C700UZ with 10x optical zoom which is a great camera, but it's not really meant for close photography it's more for long distance work. There's an older model Canon with a special upgraded macro lens that might be good so I'm researching that.

How's things in SC?

Mean;

Glad to help! Hope you don't get screwed too badly on the shipping for those dyes... Noticed the seller is in Europe...

Reason I was asking about your location is because we're planning a meeting of laser enthusiasts for this summer. It will probably be in Atlanta, GA. So if you were on the east cost, it might have been practical for you to drive down to attend. (See the SELEM thread in the laser meet and greet forum)

Unfortunately, you're on the wrong coast! So if you want to attend, you'll probably have to fly - and that gets expensive... But if you are planning on being there, you can see some of the rhodamine dye that I have.

Adam

PS: Things in Charleston are great! Nice city to live in. People are friendly, and the city is very green. It's a big(ish) city (300,000 +) that still feels a bit like a smaller city. Oh, and the boating here is great!

Actually I might be up for hitting the SELEM gig. I just quit my job and I'm planning on taking the rest of this year off to travel around the country. so who knows... I haven't really been off the west coast much and there's a whole lot more out there across the States to see.

Mean;

Taking the whole year off? Man, I wish I could do that! Be nice to see the rest of this fine country. (I've never been any futher west than Kansas...) But I guess I'll have to wait 'till retirement for that!

Keep tabs on the SELEM thread... We ought to be getting some more details in the next month or so. If you can make it, you are more than welcome!

Adam

Default Mystery laser (mystery to me anyway)

Hi all,

I found an unusual laser last week. When I opened it up I saw a pump chamber like what I have seen for flashlamp pumped solid state lasers. That's strange - instead of 2 cooling water ports there are four. 2 line up with the flashtube and 2 with the lasing medium. When I opened the pump chamber I was sure I broke off the end of the laser rod. No - the broken end is perfectly flat and polished and the rest of the rod is hollow. Huh ??? After much confusion I came to the conclusion that this is a dye laser. There is a space between the tube and the "broken" end which passes the dye into the tube and then through the pump chamber. It has a set of 6 selectable and tiltable tuning etalons, what I think is a birefringent tuner with 5 elements and 4 selectable tiltable prisms all withinin the resonator cavity. The pump lamp has round electrode ends making me think it is a flashlamp, which I suppose it has to be if this really is a dye laser. The picture with my fingers in it is the high reflector (the OC looks similar). It rotates to bring one of the coloured mirrors in line with the cavity at a time. Anyone recognize this machine? Anyone have any idea what its electrical requirements might be? Some pictures follow.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC_0083.JPG  

PIC_0065.JPG  

PIC_0068.JPG  

PIC_0090.JPG  

PIC_0095.JPG  

PIC_0078.JPG  

Lightbulb

I have no idea what that thing is, but ahh... It is definatly worth it's own thread... That way this rotted corpse can rest in peace.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin