Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inappropriate redirector

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Cool, no problem. We'll just replace it with this one.

Attachment 22899
    That's ace ^

People "taking offence" really get's my goat!
    I mean where are they gonna put it!?

Anything funny is probably offensive; anything offensive is probably funny.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Attachment 22927
    Dingly Dangly Character Add

Thumbs down

It's been referred to as "retardoface" ever since I can remember, at least here on PL. If you are truly offended by it, why did it take you so long to speak up? Had you said something back when the text-only version of retardoface adorned the home page (and not many people were familiar with the smiley), Spec might have changed it. (It's been around since at least mid-2007, you see.)

As it is now, the retardoface smiley has become the De facto mascot for PL. It was displayed in laser at SELEM this year. It's even one of the smiley choices in the edit window, and the code for it is "retardo". It's been that way for at least 18 months, and probably much longer.

Sorry Alec, but this really sounds like a troll... For one, you've met several of the members here (including Spec), so I'm sure you know that we're not bashing the mentally-challenged here. And second, even if you were offended, why didn't you say something much, much earlier?

Adam

You can't get rid of it...!
    (I've got it printed on a t-shirt)

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    You can't get rid of it...!
    (I've got it printed on a t-shirt)

I'm not into one-upmanship but I had him tattooed on my wife's back when she was drunk
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    I'm not into one-upmanship but I had him tattooed on my wife's back when she was drunk
    The last thing the world needs is a woman thats literally got eyes on the back of her head.

They're bad enough when they're virtual.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post

Default First Impressions . . .

As a new guy, here is my impression of retardoface. I thought Retardoface was a member who left for some reason (death probably) and so would be missed. I guess I've since observed the connection between the smiley face and "retardoface" and have begun to figure it all out and this thread has hauled me up the learning curve a few notches. That re-direct message struck me as strange and apparently left me with a lingering wrong impression. One of the things that keep s a group connected is their peculiar idiosyncratic proprietary knowledge. It strikes me that "retardoface" is in this category.

I was not offended by the reference to "retard". Those of us who remember its common use as an epithet and witnessed its demise at the hands of the politcally correct know that its effect is somewhat diminished by the addition of the suffix "oface". Now if you were to add an amplifying adjective like the "f" word in front of "retard", that would be fightin' words.

Since y'all can't see my smiling face while I'm writing this, I'll just add that this opinion is offered in good cheer with a sense of humor and is intended to be taken lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by RayTracer View Post
    As a new guy, here is my impression of retardoface. I thought Retardoface was a member who left for some reason (death probably) and so would be missed.

i'm on a similar page here. it is just that i figured out that "retardoface" was a smiley, so my interpretation was as follows. There was a user named "something fierce" who for some serious reason (death probably) was gone and retardoface said that he would be missed

so "retardoface says that something fierce will be missed"

"its called character briggs..."

Wow - I had no idea that so many people didn't know the history of retardoface...

If you go back to around 2007 or so, when you went to the home page (www.photonlexicon.com), it showed a black screen with a bunch of colored text that filled the screen and formed the redardoface smiley. Then, after a few seconds of delay, you were re-directed to www.photonlexicon.com/forums, which, of course, is the home page for the discussion forums.

It was like this for AGES... But then Spec made a change to the forum software, and as a result, the home page ended up getting changed. And shortly thereafter, Spec put up the text message lamenting the demise of the classic retardoface splash screen that we had all grown so accustomed to.

Unfortunately, I don't have a screen capture of the original home page.

Adam