Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob looking for some help getting started with building ilda files.

White-Light,

Hey thanks for the effort, and the link. With the full version of QS can you still not export or save the product as a .ild file for the SD card lasers, or do you need to set up the whole DAC to project any product from it?

I think the bottom line is single line text and only the top part will be feasible with any laser 20k or 30k I would imagine at 12fps it would work, but lasers are ment to look fluid which would require a faster speed or the lesser complication.

BTW in iShow it took me 3 hours to make almost exactly what you made PITA!!!

drlava,

I have read several other posts on the SOS software, and they all seam to suggest the fact that they will convert images to laser points. Honestly that is what iShow claims as-well. I may be over thinking it, but what I am seeing is lets say for a box you will have 2 coordinates per displayed line. Connect 4 lines for the whole box and you end up with 4 points. Now when i did this in iShow i got a circle! What appeared to happen is the laser pointed to point one, then fired and traveled to point two,3,4,1,2... however because it was traveling at 20kpps and the servos no matter how fast need space to slow stop and make a 90deg turn then move again, they instead just kept going and rounded each corner to the point it just became a circle.

So now I am thinking well maybe i need some thing that looks more like a ⌘ and tell the laser to fire from 1-2 then turn off, come around and then fire for the next line etc...

I guess what my question is; within the SOS software, or any other software, when I make a simple square, does the software look and say, "well he is going to need these little invisible points or else his corners are going to be round..." and then hopefully add them in? Or am i over thinking this because my first experience was with the 3 world version of laser tech?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJCyrus View Post
    White-Light,

Hey thanks for the effort, and the link. With the full version of QS can you still not export or save the product as a .ild file for the SD card lasers, or do you need to set up the whole DAC to project any product from it?
    Like most commercial products now, its not possible to export as ILDA format as it uses its own proprietory format to stop piracy so you won't be able to use the internal SD card reader.

To display from QS what you do is connect your pc to the FB3-QS DAC via a usb cable then the FB3 to the projector's ILDA input with an ILDA cable.

If you go to the QuickShow Website here, I'm sure you'll find most of your questions answered:

http://www.pangolin.com/QS/

I presume you have a Neo (Neo-Neon) laser or rebranded version of the same if it has an internal ILDA SD card reader.

White-Light,

I think the bottom line is single line text and only the top part will be feasible with any laser 20k or 30k I would imagine at 12fps it would work, but lasers are ment to look fluid which would require a faster speed or the lesser complication.
    The problem with text is the many tight curves.

Text is a nightmare really. You can pull a 40-50fps+ graphic down to around 15fps just by adding two words underneath.

White-Light,

I am sure it is a Neo-Neon unit, it was branded as a Poseidon, odds are most lasers and led's in the "dj" form factor are rebranded Neo Neon units.

It is very handy however as I am a mobile Dj and each thing I have to set up is more time and possible problems so the internal shows makes for a compact solution.

It is an interesting idea to banish the wording and maybe come up with a small logo or symbol to display instead.
    Thanks

Dr. Lavas utility is good and cheap and will certainly reduce the load on the projector, so it's probably your 1st point of call.

After that if you're looking for software to go the more sofisticated route, then your choices are above. BTW, one thing from a mobile dj point of view, QS has a Live VJ feature that can run automatically on either a timed or beat based cue change basis so is very good for hands off use.

Other suggestions are:

1. As above, remove the bottom half of your writing so it reads just "Ultimate Entertainment".

2. If the laser will allow it, run it as scrolling text instead of a static logo as only have part of the logo on display at any one time reduces load further

3. Take out the line below Ultimate Entertainment as this will also gain a few fps.

drlava,

I have read several other posts on the SOS software, and they all seam to suggest the fact that they will convert images to laser points.
    This is true, with inkscape and ILD SOS you can easily convert logos with a very high degree of control to universally-compatible laser ILDA frames.

Honestly that is what iShow claims as-well. I may be over thinking it, but what I am seeing is lets say for a box you will have 2 coordinates per displayed line. Connect 4 lines for the whole box and you end up with 4 points. Now when i did this in iShow i got a circle!
    If that's what you are getting with other software, then that software is not optimizing the result for you. ILD SOS does this optimization automatically, so what you see is what you get. It also supports live laser preview so you can tune up the results for the best scan speed.
    I guess what my question is; within the SOS software, or any other software, when I make a simple square, does the software look and say, "well he is going to need these little invisible points or else his corners are going to be round..." and then hopefully add them in?
    I can't speak for other software, but yes this is part of what ILD SOS does. It also does many other advanced things to help your image scan as fast as possible, and offers tuning adjustments as well, all with the end result being the fastest scanning frames for your hardware.

One more thing, ILD SOS supports many DACs but the iShow, being a TTL DAC, isn't one of them. If you're looking for an inexpensive DAC, I have the RIYA Lite available at $150. This is a full featured analog laser controller.