Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Bottom Line

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    That doesn't automatically make your services worth £50...

You should charge a fair price, taking everything into consideration. If they say no... then they won't have any lasers!
    And I will have no money back on my investment. And I won't get to play with my toys! What you're saying only works when there is higher demand than supply.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    I charge more if I dont like the music and less if its a lesbian fetish night.
    I like your point of view on that

What you're saying only works when there is higher demand than supply
    And lets face it, the vast majority of the hobbyists here only serve to dilute the real market further - again, its a situation that exists in many areas of entertainment, the hobbyist/DIY soundsystem owner, part time lighting folk

The big money gigs still remain,and some manage to successfully navigate the divide from one to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Bottom line is, if a promoter has a budget of £300 for a laser show, I think there are a few people who will take it
    Absolutely and I say without malice that they are welcome to it at that price.

When all costs and risks are considered I would rather stay at home and relax unless the venture it is worth it finacially.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

In the very early eighties I worked as a free-lance audio operator, with a lot of gigs with just one band. At times I took $50 as did each of the band members. I was the 5th member so to speak. In that time I obtained a lot of experience, and the band supported a lot of international touring acts which gave me experience with large venues, large PA's.

This experience enabled me to progress to the larger scene where I toured with some pretty large acts, BB King, Sherbet, Gang a Jang, New Order, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, Motor Head, Albert Collins to name but a few.

I feel it's ok to start small, payed bugger all. This is good training ground. You need this experience if your going to move on up.

Equipment rental is a different matter. Unless it's a hobby. But as others have stated, build an expectation for low rental costs and your stuck.

When I worked with a large touring sound company, promoters that questioned our quotes where met with "which bits don't you want". We would cut down the foldback system, desk sizes etc if their budget could not stretch. At one point, I was touring sound systems worth well in excess of $1M and that was the late 80's. Big dollar stuff like Midas consoles, Turbosound flown speakers, Carver/Phase Linear amps. Plus all the ludicrously expensive out board effects etc. If they can't pay, they can't play.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeAndMirrors View Post
    And I will have no money back on my investment. And I won't get to play with my toys! What you're saying only works when there is higher demand than supply.
    Then create a demand!
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Then create a demand!
    LOL. But then - seriously - that's sort of what I'm doing. By working at a bargain rate I get to network, impress people, and learn valuable skills. My clients like what I do, and may be prepared to part with more money now - if they can. Also, I get lots of cool photos to splatter over the internet and further my cause. Even so, I'm hardly beating the customers off with a stick.

Id take the attitude , id rather work for FREE and create some goodwill than work for £50 ..if you take the £50 make sure its being accepted as petrol or sandwich money than the going rate.

Its always better to start at a HIGH price and sometimes its just accepted and if it is your quids in , if you get knocked down on price you have ceated some goodwill and the buyer feels great for negotiating a discount and you have also made it clear your "going rate" to work back up to if the works regular.

The skill of course is negotiating DOWN successfuly into the job if the price aint accepted ... and thats a lot easier if you have sold the PRODUCT as such to their mind first ..... if you go in having not extold the virtues of a laser show and the benefits , and then a present high price imply out their budget , the conversation will be closed down quickly , however if you have sold the product a over the top high price wont be treated so harshly

Treat laser shows like any other product , make them listen to your 5 minute PITCH first ..it works

Paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Of course I don't think there is any better advert than actually being out there doing it.

Promoters attend other promoters events, people can see exactly what you are all about in the right environment, they can see it 'in person' rather than a series of pics that fail to do it justice, etc. It also shows that you must be doing something right because you are actually working, and this makes promoters feel more secure in their buying decision

Just one gig last year brought so much interest for me, so right place, right time also comes into play

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Id take the attitude , id rather work for FREE and create some goodwill than work for £50 ..if you take the £50 make sure its being accepted as petrol or sandwich money than the going rate.

Its always better to start at a HIGH price and sometimes its just accepted and if it is your quids in , if you get knocked down on price you have ceated some goodwill and the buyer feels great for negotiating a discount and you have also made it clear your "going rate" to work back up to if the works regular.

The skill of course is negotiating DOWN successfuly into the job if the price aint accepted ... and thats a lot easier if you have sold the PRODUCT as such to their mind first ..... if you go in having not extold the virtues of a laser show and the benefits , and then a present high price imply out their budget , the conversation will be closed down quickly , however if you have sold the product a over the top high price wont be treated so harshly

Treat laser shows like any other product , make them listen to your 5 minute PITCH first ..it works

Paul
    Personally I'd also prefer this method, it's very effective