Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realtime video to laser projection

Default Realtime video to laser projection

Hi All!

I don't know whether this has been done already, but the idea struck me a few months ago to write a program that could trace a video so to project it with a laser in real-time.

Using the OpenCV library I already managed to scan the image for contours, and convert the contours to simple x,y vector points. Not only images or video's but also webcam-input can be used!

Currently I'm wrestling with the MS waveOut functions to output good buffers (it takes some effort to stream audio to the sound card) for use as galvo-input.

When this finally works I'll try to make a working laser demo and post it!
    So Ill keep you updated

I'm still having trouble to build an executable but if anyone is interested I could post the source code..!

Attatched is a picture of the part that already works

regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails opencv + waveout.jpg  

WOW- that would really be something!! do keep it coming and TY for sharing~~!!!

hak

welcome and nice to see you on the forum

this post may be interesting to you http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...read.php/10447

Quote Originally Posted by s060340 View Post
    Hi All!

I don't know whether this has been done already, but the idea struck me a few months ago to write a program that could trace a video so to project it with a laser in real-time.

Using the OpenCV library I already managed to scan the image for contours, and convert the contours to simple x,y vector points. Not only images or video's but also webcam-input can be used!

Currently I'm wrestling with the MS waveOut functions to output good buffers (it takes some effort to stream audio to the sound card) for use as galvo-input.

When this finally works I'll try to make a working laser demo and post it!
    So Ill keep you updated

I'm still having trouble to build an executable but if anyone is interested I could post the source code..!

Attatched is a picture of the part that already works

regards
    Pretty cool. I also used OpenCV to create my own video to laser application. Works pretty well but I have not had time to apply the finishing touches and release it.

I got the streaming OK now, but the output signal is showing some really nasty artefacts

I've added a screenshot of the sample image, together with a screendump of my scope.

Notice that on the right the line gets all wobly, instead of smooth

Also if you look at the picture with persist on, you'll notice that the signal drifts a few mV's from its center

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails persist.bmp  

waveform.bmp  

screenshot.jpg  

I got the image steady now, so it doesn't drift anymore..

The wobbling is still there though, it seems to appear when either of the x or y signals takes a leap, not sure whether this can be helped with software though.. any thougths?

Maybe just add a low-pass filter to the signal output?

Anyone got experience with this?

I suspect that the offset is because normal sound cards are AC coupled, so the average X and Y voltages will always be 0 (averaged over a few ms). It is usually possible to short out the dc block caps on your sound card, or for testing you could write some code that adds in points to keep the x/y average at 0 for each frame.

Hi, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, because a few people how have replied to you have already seen demonstrations of it, but early last year I released a live video to laser app that does this. Please check it out!

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...light=lasercam

Also, before that, Pangolin released one, and before that, Mamba released one. Those are called 'VST'

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, let's chat! Send me a PM and we'll exchange contact details.

Laserwinkel already mentioned it, actually (2nd post)..

Still, I want to continue my project because I'm gaining very much experience in programming and hardware communication (in fact this is only my 2nd serious programming project)

As mentioned in my previous post, the main problem (in fact, the only problem left) is the output of the sound card..

Did you get that problem too? or did you use a ILDA-interface output?

I have ordered a external sound card of which i can try to eliminate the end caps - don't want to mess with my notebook's sound card though

Off topic: Also I have rigged up my laser projector hardware for 95%, I need to replace a pot and a mirror and I can test it! Check out how this old computer power supply makes an excellent casing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 004.jpg  

Picture 006.jpg  

Picture 005.jpg  

Picture 003.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by s060340 View Post
    Laserwinkel already mentioned it, actually (2nd post)..

Still, I want to continue my project because I'm gaining very much experience in programming and hardware communication (in fact this is only my 2nd serious programming project)

As mentioned in my previous post, the main problem (in fact, the only problem left) is the output of the sound card..

Did you get that problem too? or did you use a ILDA-interface output?

I have ordered a external sound card of which i can try to eliminate the end caps - don't want to mess with my notebook's sound card though

Off topic: Also I have rigged up my laser projector hardware for 95%, I need to replace a pot and a mirror and I can test it! Check out how this old computer power supply makes an excellent casing!
    Aha, great, I didn't click that link.

About using a sound card, actually, early on I have written a dll interface to make a sound card act like a laser projector controller. Search for 'EzAudDac' and you'll find it. It also has a schematic of what you can do to use the sound card as a laser controller. I can give you the dll interface definitions if you want to use it, it makes sending frames to a sound card a lot easier.