Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lumalaser Spectrum HighLase RGB Full Color 500mw

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:50.

Default Feel the Luv... ;)

Hey tbc...

Real-quick comment (just to reinforce a, perhaps, 'somewhat-obnoxious position' I've taken in the past, in here, vehemently defending the contributions that the 'Pro's make to this place....) – ain't this place (PL) great? I distinctly-recall paying well-over a thousand $$, when I was getting started back in ~'90-91, for this very-same 'caliber' of advice...and was delighted to even be able to get such 'real-world' wisdom, paid or otherwise... And you're getting great guidance for the 'cost' of your membership, here... (good price, eh? )

Again, kudos to you for 'measuring-twice, cutting-once', and setting a good example... Yeah, the 'high-road' is a tough-climb, but imo, it pays-off, in the long run... (...as I gaze into my vacuous-wallet...

cheers...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I knew lasers in general are dangerous, especially since they can burn holes into things, what are your thoughts about those who go out and buy over the counter $200-$500 lasers from guitar center or a DJ shop? Less questions asked when those are used at concerts? Those come with variances, no tests required?

Quote Originally Posted by thebitcrusher View Post
    I knew lasers in general are dangerous, especially since they can burn holes into things, what are your thoughts about those who go out and buy over the counter $200-$500 lasers from guitar center or a DJ shop? Less questions asked when those are used at concerts? Those come with variances, no tests required?
    Anything under 4.99mW is considered safe and doesn't require a variance, and almost useless for shows. Most likely what they are selling at Guitar Center is under 5mW. Anything above that, most Chinese projectors, are not safe and really shouldn't be sold to the public.

In truth, there's nothing stopping you from buying a class IIIb or class IV laser and flailing it around but It's your ass if someone complains or a LSO catches you. It could cost you a lot of flack and $$$$$.

How long do lasers last? Lets say turned on an hour, tour 8 months a year worth.

Quote Originally Posted by thebitcrusher View Post
    How long do lasers last? Lets say turned on an hour, tour 8 months a year worth.
    That all depends on how quality the lasers are and what type. If your talking DPSS and direct diode. It could be a couple seconds to 10,000 hours. Cheaper lasers are iffy, best plan is to get a warranty. "You get what you pay for" is huge when dealing with lasers.

Laser Warning

So ending conclusion, Lumalaser Spectrum HighLase RGB Full Color 500mw, is it even useable, even with its variance?

You all say, for the price of that laser $4600, something stronger could be made, but will require a test, and is better to rent out very powerful lasers in my case as a musician, than buy them.

As far as something to "own", no hassle and audience friendly, do you have to be reduced to using a weak laser that is only 5mw? otherwise anything over don't bother in my "touring musician case", and just rent a laser instead including having a registered laserist on board, show to show, or different person for different regions, taking care of it?.

Check out this picture. I am perfectly fine with this distance of laser, not too powerful not to far, just small/medium, to be pointed above the crowd, or placed on the floor in order to do the scanning effects, which I really dig. More likely on the floor, and use it as a stage effect, which.. i'm guessing I don't need a very powerful laser in that case.

http://laserpointerforums.com/attach...rs_rockets.jpg

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:51.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Give Karl a week or so to finish the latest revisions to his projector, drive across town, and see what a professional laserist can do for you. You will be shocked at what you learn.

Either as a touring laserist or just as a consultant, a professional can give you a much better initial situation then just running out and buying some thing. Little additions such as gratings, bounce mirrors, scrim, graphics controllers and beamtables can make a huge difference in the "look" and the bang for the buck. So can the choice of fog/smog/hazer machine.

You need at least a watt, maybe more, and a good evaluation of how to implement it in the physical environments you will be using it in. A pro who does actual field work can do that for you. Most WEB vendors can not offer that sort of advice.

If you do not go see Karl, Call Marc at CT_Lasers or Dan at X-Laser. Jon at Daystar/Laserium can give you good advice as well.

Steve

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:51.