Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heads up, possible free gas laser rig....

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Evil, PM sent.

Steve

Would be excellent to see a bit of classic equipment like this up and running again.

Other then I have no idea where the 25 to 100 mW of solid state YELLOW will come from, that might just happen.

Its been on a shelf since 85. If the lytics are good... He already has the baseline tracks burned to CD. So yes, it could live again.

Steve

I came here because I saw the word free.

That was a cheap comment Hehe xD

Actually Dr Crosses site is well worth the time anyway, totally awesome cutting edge laser art circa the **very** early days. Some of the photos are fascinating.

Sorry PJ the free turned out to be historically more interesting then it is as a modern laser system, getting it into a museum is the right choice (But the general arrangement of those scanners is something I may just have to borrow, it is neat......).

Photographs if anything is connected or setup when collecting are a must, for both curatorial reasons and trying to figure out how the wiring goes together.

Regards, Dan.

Hehe no problem.

Make sure it gets a nice spot in that museum

Lightbulb This is getting interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    ...would definitely be interested in aiding to cause.
    Hmmm.. If you end-up getting it up to your place, we stand a good-chance of having a couple 'repeat' show-clients from '10, up that way, in June-ish; latest, Oct.... If the 'Smithso' doesn't want it, I *may* have a good-home for it at the Strasenburgh Planetarium / Science Center / Museum, in Rochester, NY... the guys that run the laser-show there (still running ions, too! are both excellent laser and electronics-techs, and are very-familiar with 'legacy' systems (ie Lasermedia / ZAP, etc...) so we might be able to work-out a 'trucking-exchange-thinggy'..

This all assumes you do, indeed, pick it up / can store it for that long / Strasenburgh wants it / Smithso doesn't, etc, etc - but, let's 'KIT'... Point-is, happy to help 'preserve' this kit - Yes, it does need to be-so...

peas
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thumbs up

Steve also mentioned that it might be cool to have Lowell Cross speak at SELEM 2011 this summer. That certainly would be interesting, if we can make it happen...

Adam

I have got the ball rolling. Legal Documents will soon change hands. L/V III will go to a secure warehouse via a truck so it can be properly preserved until a proper home can be found for it. This will soon be out of my hands, although I will monitor the project and inject as much connectivity as I can.

We may need to find a major sponsor for a display case to house it, and/or solid state lasers to reactivate it. Coherent or SP folks or Lightwave, or SPIE folks, perhaps other interested parties, if your lurking here, now would be a good time for a discrete PM if you can help.

I'll have dimensions for a possible case soon.

Steve

this one, if so....... yum