Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New build - 2.5W G/B Projector

Default New build - 2.5W G/B Projector

Ok, so I was just having a quick layup of the components as they're all finally here, so I thought I'd post a couple of shots.

The intention is for it eventually (finances and space permitting) be an RGB, which is why I'm trying to gain as much space behind the galvo block as possible, and why some of the mirror bounces are Z's rather than right angles (which would satisfy my OCD better!)
    My estimates are that a 6 diode 640 head would fit in there snuggly, but I may have to switch out some/all mirror and dichro mounts for Pats micromounts when the time comes.

Components are:
    DT30 scanners (large mirrors, in case the red option ends up being tubby - I simply don't know what is going to come along in the next 12 months and I tend to run beam only shows at ~18kpps for maximum impact/visibility)
    Dual 445 kit from Dave which will be running ~1.5W from a Flexmod3 and passively cooled
    1W Viasho 532 doing about 1.1W stable at 4.1A drive current.

On the lower deck are the PSU's, 24V for scanners, the monster PSU/driver for the Viasho and a generous 12V 10A PSU for the 445's which was specced so it could also handle the 640 should it ever materialize, and the case fans!!

Case is one conceived by Simon Pitbull and Marc Insanity and is a beautiful item

Missus has given clearance for me to drill and tap at weekend so should have something a bit more complete shortly. Have done no setup of the 445 yet, that is my first job once I'm ready to properly mount everything. I'm hoping the wiring will turn out to be beautiful too, but it's not my strong point!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000438.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	23088 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000441.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	23089 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000437.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	23090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000442.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	23091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000436.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	23092

Sweet!
    Dude!
    Sweet!

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

See, I said I was gonna put that bitch to work Dan!! Cheers... Oh and the rattle seems to be something inside the fan, not inside the case which makes me feel much better

Good to see another projjy getting put together with more than a dash of love, we need more happy build threads round here
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

Hehe, just looking back at the pics, 2 things have struck me:

1. I probably need to tidy my workspace a bit, and...
    2. the financial devotion to lasers is starting to manifest in the condition of my socks

Oh, and the fact that I'm quite calmly contemplating swapping out over £200 worth of optics and mounts when the red comes into existence. I'd have been having kittens about that sort of thing last year. I suppose I could always sell them...

Simon, I like to think this is doing it as properly as you can on a budget I 'could' have spent a lot more, but wouldn't have got very much more for the money until it was 'exceptionally' more. In fact, just doing the rough sums, its even cheaper than I thought it was on components - I tend to try and avoid keeping track of spending, just in case it scares me!!

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    Good to see another projjy getting put together with more than a dash of love, we need more happy build threads round here
    What new things have you got your pie fingers in Si that will be with you at the LEM??????

Nice on Norty!!
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Adam
    I would recommend you turn them scan amps round and stick a 10mm spacer under the one nearest the scanners - lifting it up to peep over the near one - that way if you ever need to get to the pots they are right there without any faff. I always build projectors with the scan amps pots easy to get to.
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thanks Rob, that was going to be the plan anyway, or have them back to back, so the pots are accessible from either side... OR put them side by side down the edge of the case... so many options

cters

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    What new things have you got your pie fingers in Si that will be with you at the LEM??????

Nice on Norty!!
    Jim I wish I had the time to get on with some buildification lots of ideas and components just no time, but threads like this make me find time
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh