Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheap DMX Controller for laser projector

Quote Originally Posted by Dnstje View Post
    To be on topic, a verrryyyy cheap DMX controller which is also opensource. ~
    http://www.hoelscher-hi.de/hendrik/english/openrdm.htm

Compattible with Open DMX Entec driver, which is included in a software called Freestyler found here.

http://users.telenet.be/freestylerdmx/

This should be around about 3 to 10 euro's~
    If you really want a DMX DAC then I should go with dnstje's advice, this is cheap.

And not connecting it to a PC and having sound reactive mode? not possible... well at least not cheaply.

And not connecting it to a PC and having sound reactive mode? not possible... well at least not cheaply
    I would agree with this.

Although many cheap DMX controllers claim to have a mic and sound reactive mode, they don't work very well, and cause all sorts of random triggers due to poor filtering on the mic.

They also get quite repetitive as they are limited to a relatively low number of steps in each chase.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    They also get quite repetitive as they are limited to a relatively low number of steps in each chase.
    And thats the main reason why I disadvice him taking DMX only.
    He's new and off course he wants to see if he can have fun (not dangerous fun off course)
    with lasers.
    DMX repetitive patterns get boring and gives you a negative impression of how fun lasering truely can be.

DMX standard shapes limit your ways of doing creative things with the laser to a near minimum.

I have a laser projector with DMX control but no ILDA port,does anyone know where i can find a cheap board to buy or even schematics so i can build one and connect it to the projector..

I know this is an old thread, but I don't see why some people on this thread have such a negative view of DMX controllers - they have a multitude of uses. As well as controlling the laser via a DMX board, any half-decent laser ILDA software will also allow DMX control of the software itself, allowing the DMX controller to be used as a hands-on control surface during a live show for flips, spins, zooms and so on; these can then be sequenced and sound-activated. What's not to like?
    A good, basic versatile controller is this http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm. It won't break the bank, will give you a good insight into what DMX can do, and is not too difficult to learn to use.
    As this gives you 192 control channels, you can add other DMX devices as well as your laser - intelligent lights, strobe lights, motorised screens, moving mirrors - there are loads of things that have DMX control options that can enhance a laser show - the only limit is your imagination.

I know this is an old thread, but I don't see why some people on this thread have such a negative view of DMX controllers - they have a multitude of uses. As well as controlling the laser via a DMX board, any half-decent laser ILDA software will also allow DMX control of the software itself, allowing the DMX controller to be used as a hands-on control surface during a live show for flips, spins, zooms and so on; these can then be sequenced and sound-activated. What's not to like?
    You're right of course, but you're also cherry picking the parts of the thread to suit.

The bottom line was, he didn't have even an ILDA controller, so saying he could simplify and improve his control by using a DMX desk to control the laser software is not really in context.

Being a lighting guy first and foremost, I 'like' DMX, but as a laserist as well, I would have to say that ILDA laser software is a better choice for laser control if I had to pick between them. Otherwise I suspect we'd all be using DMX...
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

DMX is limited, you can only watch the the same patterns for a small time over and over, with a ILDA DAC control you are pretty much limitless to what you can do with a projector with the right software and abit of a imagination...