Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello All

Default Hello All

Hello!

I am new to lasers and new the forums. I just wanted to introduce myself before I began asking all kinds of new guy questions.

I fell in love with laser shows about 5 years ago at Paramount's Pink Floyd Laser Spectacular (before they changed the show). According to my parents my fist exposure to laser shows was when I was a wee boy at the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. I am 24 years old and am ready to pursue my dreams with lasers.

I have been reading the forums for a little bit to familiarize myself with terms and technology, and boy do I have some learning to do. Ultimately, I want to build an RGB scanner, but have come to realize that it is quite the undertaking that requires time and money (two things that are scarce since I am a student). I recently moved to the San Fransisco Bay area so if any of you know of anything worth checking out please let me know.

-Sal

Welcome! when you have time fill out your profile so all will know where your located without seeing this thread. Yes pricey but heck atleast the price has been coming down compared to just a few years ago.

Your first show must have been a laserium show, shame you don;t remember it :P

take care you'll find a wealth of info and answers on this forum hobby to pro's to just genius people all sharing.

John

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    Hello!

I am new to lasers and new the forums. I just wanted to introduce myself before I began asking all kinds of new guy questions.

I fell in love with laser shows about 5 years ago at Paramount's Pink Floyd Laser Spectacular (before they changed the show). According to my parents my fist exposure to laser shows was when I was a wee boy at the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. I am 24 years old and am ready to pursue my dreams with lasers.

I have been reading the forums for a little bit to familiarize myself with terms and technology, and boy do I have some learning to do. Ultimately, I want to build an RGB scanner, but have come to realize that it is quite the undertaking that requires time and money (two things that are scarce since I am a student). I recently moved to the San Fransisco Bay area so if any of you know of anything worth checking out please let me know.

-Sal
    leading in trailing technology

Hi and welcome to PL forums.

The most basic piece of advice I could offer, is think about the projector that you ultimately want and start building that projector.

In other words if you aim to ultimately have a 3W RGB don't build a 1W RGB and upgrade; save for a little while longer and build a 1W green. Leave space in there for your planned additions and add the other lasers when funds allow. You will save money doing it this way.

Cheers, Ian
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Thumbs up

Hey disco...

...so if any of you know of anything worth checking out please let me know.
    Welcome, Sal! Great first-post, and yeah - you're gonna love it 'in here' - crazy-place, PL...waaaay-better than TV!

Speaking of 'anything worth checking-out', we're plotting and planning to have the first-ever 'SoCaLEM' (So Cal Laser Enthusiasts Meeting, aka laser-geek fest..
    - you can check out all about it, here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...675#post179675

... if 'funds are tight', I *think* we-all should have it 'covered', so, if ya wanna come-down as a 'Guest', you are more-than Welcome...

At the meet, you'll get to chat with many of your 'So Cal brethren', and PL'ers from (AFAIK) AZ, NM, CO, TX, OH, CT and possibly NY, even! And, as a 'special-treat', I am planning to bring in one of the actual Laserium show-rigs, and play a couple Laserium shows, as you would have seen them at Griffith, as a pup... only this time, we'll have LOTS of other lasers to augment the shows... (...Laser Spectacular, eat yer heart-out... )

You'll get to chat with folks that have built their own rigs, from 'scratch', and/or been in the laser-show biz, doing shows / building-rigs for 15+ years, and can definitely help you with questions about system-builds, suppliers / resources / laser-safety and, 'the Regs', (for doing shows in-public, down the line, etc, etc) - there will even be (pending confirmation) 1 -2 of the Laserists that worked at Griffith, and did shows there, so, I am quite sure that - given we manage to pull this all-off - those guys, playing live, will have you 'snapped-back into a fetal-position', drooling in laser-awe...

Anyhoo, hope you can make it down.. feel free to PM-me for details / to-chat / questions, etc...

Welcome, again, and cya around...
    J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Smile

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, Sal. Hope you like it here.

We all share the same dream, and we'll help you get there. I can't emphasize enough how important it is for you to attend a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting though. As Jon stated above, you'll be able to meet lots of folks in your area that share your dream. Those people will be the ones you can call when you get stuck on a problem when you're building your projector.

You'll also see what is possible with a modern laser projector, and that will *really* fire you up on the idea of building your own.

Adam

Default welcome

from another new guy about to take the l punge I cant tell you enough how great the the advice from Jon and Adam is.
    I went to my first LEM last Aug in N.C. and was overwhelmed with the kindness of all I met there. I started making plans to attend 2011 SELEM on my way home(17hrs) from SELEM 2010. If I could possibly afford to go the SoCalLEM I would be there. Hope you go and I know you will not be dissapointed.

peace...
    Len in Texas

Hello and welcome. I have only 2 advices. Start with a good case and second start saving for red

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice, it is much appreciated. I feel like I can begin thinking about the project along the right lines.

Thank you Jon for the invitation to the SoCaLEM. I will definitely get down to So Cal and make it there that weekend. It sounds like my mind is going to get blown in an educational kind of way and I can't wait. I will PM you for more specific information.

I am excited and really looking forward to getting to know the community here.

Thanks again,
    Sal

Thumbs up

Thank you Jon for the invitation to the SoCaLEM. I will definitely get down to So Cal and make it there that weekend.
    Right on, and I think we already know what 'prize' you are gonna win - newest PL-member with the longest screen-name (...how the *heck* am I gonna fit that on yer name-tag?? jk..

hope to cya there...
    ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Welcome to the wonderful world of lasers! Please make safety a top priority and be careful. Have fun!