Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QS 2.0 trigger cues based on audio input

Default QS 2.0 trigger cues based on audio input

Hi, i have been playing with the feature of changing cues with Virtual LJ and try to change them by audio input.
    I don't see anything hapening, if i select a audio file in the quick timeline or select a microphone in my system i see the graph changing according to the input but no cue is selected. Based on the beats of the music and selecting a defined tempo or using the tap feature to align it to the music does work, i see the cues changing but this does not happen when i select audio input.
    Can someone explain what i could expect or am doing wrong here?

Michel

Trigger cues on audio input is not for the quick timeline.

Right click on the virtual LJ
    Right click on the newly appeared black box.

There you can select your audio card or line input.

Select your audio card and play a song with a mp3 player like winamp or windows media player.

i can also select microphone and i see that it picks up audio but no cue changes there?
    if i play timeline audio over the speakers and the mike picks it up, shouldn't this do the same. If i select mike and i clap in my hands, shouldn't it change to the next cue???

Or do i not understand the concept.

Michel

That should work.

And it does work..

I just tested this function here at home and it works.

Are you sure the microphone is working, and did you adjust the recording mixer settings?

(the recorder mixer settings is not something of Pangolin but a native function of windows)

I'll put a tutorial for VLJ up when I have time. I have one recorded.

Are you sure the microphone is working, and did you adjust the recording mixer settings?

(the recorder mixer settings is not something of Pangolin but a native function of windows)
    I would pursue this line of investigation. QS may well default to the 'line in' when looking for an audio trigger source. You may need to intervene and tell it to use the mic in the recording settings of the Windows mixer

finally got the time to test it further, i selected the microphone, put the boost to the max and saw a large audio graph in the virtual laser dj window but no cue advancements, when i tap with my fingers on the area where the microphone is located the cues advance, could it be, that if i use a sound source from my notebook, eg quicktimeline or vlc or windows media player, that the notebook doesn't generate the amount of sound neede to trigger the cues?

i thought that with the ability of quickshow to advance cues based on the audio instead of trying to select the proper beat frequency would be better.

Michel

Quote Originally Posted by michelrietveld View Post
    finally got the time to test it further, i selected the microphone, put the boost to the max and saw a large audio graph in the virtual laser dj window but no cue advancements, when i tap with my fingers on the area where the microphone is located the cues advance, could it be, that if i use a sound source from my notebook, eg quicktimeline or vlc or windows media player, that the notebook doesn't generate the amount of sound neede to trigger the cues?

i thought that with the ability of quickshow to advance cues based on the audio instead of trying to select the proper beat frequency would be better.

Michel
    It seems to be quite frequency-sensitive. Music played on my laptop speakers haredly had any effect, whilst my voice,or (loud!) music through my hi-fi with subwoofer worked a treat.

Any music trigger worth it's salt will use a low pass or handoffs filter to pick up the beat. Otherwise it would just continuously trigger with any sound (a problem with some cheaper DMX controllers that claim sound to light). I suspect your laptop speakers aren't capable of producing the low frequencies required to trigger

Why are you trying to trigger via an external mic?

All you need to do is find the input thats active from whatever media player you use that sends the sound to the speakers internally and this will then also trigger QS.