Thread: Metal Rings Wanted - Can you make them?

Default Metal Rings Wanted - Can you make them?

Hi All

Has anyone here got the facility to make some large metal rings. Ideally, I need them with an internal diameter of 65mm and a step up to 67mm. depth of the ring needs to be approx 6mm, with the first 4mm being 67mm and the last 2mm being 65mm (internal diameter). Thickness of the ring only needs to be approx 4mm at the thickest part and 2mm at the thinnest. Sorry, I don't have a CAD program to be able to draw it out.

I could do with a few of these, exact quantity will depend on price. Aluminium is preferred.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an off the shelf solution i'd be most grateful if you could point me in the right direction. It doesn't even have to be exactly as described above, the above description is what I would like, but as longs as it's near I can probably manage. I've been looking at cameara filter lens holders but can't seem to find them without the lenses.

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 01-28-2011 at 05:26.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem,

I don't have access to machines these days so I cant help you directly but I can help you communicate your ideas.

I'm assuming you want to glue something into the 65mm section, is that right?

If you have a pair of digital verniers can you measure the parts that interface with this component, show where they go and what sort of fit is required e.g. (slide in easily- only just slide on by hand or- press in with force) so we know how accureate the dimensions need to be and what parameters are important?

Open the drawing in Paint or whatever and scribble some details over the top and re-post.

That should give us a good idea of what's going on.

Good luck
    Kit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jem's Part.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	23248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jem's Part drawing.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	23249

How soon do you need them?
    I've got too much on at the mo to make them (need 48 hours per day to 'break-even' at present), but if you're still after them in ~2 weeks, I'll fire up the lathe.
    Ta,
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Check into camera filter lens adapters. They are for stepping from one filter size to a camera that uses another. Not sure if they will do exactly what you want or not.

Hey Kit

Thanks for the drawing, much appreciated

As yet I haven't manufactured the part that's fitting inside the ring, I only have prototypes. The parts are something I am manufacturing once I have the rings, so exact measurements aren't really an issue here as i'll just make my part fit each individual ring.

Cheers

Jem

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    Hi Jem,

I don't have access to machines these days so I cant help you directly but I can help you communicate your ideas.

I'm assuming you want to glue something into the 65mm section, is that right?

If you have a pair of digital verniers can you measure the parts that interface with this component, show where they go and what sort of fit is required e.g. (slide in easily- only just slide on by hand or- press in with force) so we know how accureate the dimensions need to be and what parameters are important?

Open the drawing in Paint or whatever and scribble some details over the top and re-post.

That should give us a good idea of what's going on.

Good luck
    Kit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jem's Part.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	23248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jem's Part drawing.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	23249
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

@Dan

Thanks Dan, i'm going to need them fairly quickly. I have an offer from a mutual friend so i'll let you know .

@Gary

Thanks Gary, I looked at some of those adapters but they were all pretty expensive for prototyping work. If the idea pans out as expected I will require the rings to be threaded and i'll re-visit that idea.

Many thanks

Jem

Hi all

Just to bring this thread to a conclusion...

I now have the rings I require thanks to our resident Superhero known as 'Stanwax'. We of course know him personally as Rob.

Rob, you are an absolute star, and I cannot thank you enough for stepping in so quickly to help .

Also, I would like to thank Kit for helping out with the drawings (which Rob used), much appreciated and thank you again.

Cheers

Jem

Hi Jem,
    No sweat mate.

Glad to help.

Hope your project works out.

Kit