Thread: Lambda Pro

Default Lambda Pro

To date we''ve bought 3 Lambda Pro lasers.

Back in late 2003 I purchased a 150mw UG150 with analogue modulation. I purchased direct from the factory, and recieved it within 3-4 days. The first time I fired it up - i was highly impressed. Beam quality was great! Nice, tight TEM00 beam. Little bit of power fluctuation, but it settled after twenty minutes or so.

Then the next time I fired it up, I noticed that as the power ramped up the beam mode changed from TEM00 to god knows what. Wouldn't say TEM01, but some weird blob shape. I could repeat this manually - each time I approached 2/3 of full power (via fading within Pangolin) - it switched from "nice beam" to "shit beam".

I sent it back to LambdaPro, insisting that they pay shipping..... which they did. They said it was a 'coating' issue... I asked why they sent it out without testing it... no response to that one.

The laser I got back worked fine -we purchased another 150mw laser. Then I hired out the first laser with a projector... and the PSU blew up midshow (and took out the circuit breaker with it).

I opened the PSU - and was appalled at the build quality. Words cannot describe how shitly built the PSU was. We could not see what was wrong - but upon powering it up again i heard a bang and again our circuit breaker went out.

At this stage we contacted Lambda Pro again - hwoever they decided to ignore our requests for another warranty repair. After two weeks I got dave to write to them, asking them about prices and sales stuff. Long replied instantly.. so dave wrote back " hey while you're there, you better reply to my friend Adrian as he is getting pissed off". Liek magic, Long replied. He apologised for ignoring me, telling me it "gave me a bad heart feeling", and they didn't want to pay for shipping again, hence why they ignored it.

I sent it back to them, they said they could not replicate the issue. It apparently worked fine. I told them to replace the Switchmode PSU board anyway, coz I didn't want some half damaged PSU in my laser. Must have been a solder blob or something floating around in there....

About a year later we bought a UGA-300, 300mw laser. Out of the box, we noticed it was TEM01.... and power sometimes sat on 260mw, other times jumped up to 350mw. We didn't really mind the TEM01 beam, as it was being beam mixed with our Arctos Red diode laser, with shitful beam quality in itself.

However one thing that we noticed was that with analogue modulation at 5v, the maximum the laser output was around 170mw. Pull out the blanking plug, and it jumped to 350mw. So we sent this laser back to China to get recalibrated.

Our fist show with the RYG laser, the Green laser died half way through. Again - the PSU was dead. We sent it back to LambdaPro, and also got them to fix the TEM01 thing. I think they just sent us a whole new laser. But it has been okay so far.

Might I add, the new powersupplies appear much better built than the first. They still leave a little to be desired... but at least they are improving.

Another annoying 'feature' of all the lambdapros we own is that when the laser powers off (with mod at 0v), the laser flickers on and off a couple of times. It is rather dangerous, as usually the galvos fly around randomly for a fraction of a second as the rails drop... so this means that when you power off the laser you have to cover the aperture with your hand so it doesn't randomly shoot a single beam out into the crowd.....

We have since stopped buying Lambdapro. We cannot afford the bad reputation plus the lost income through our lasers dying all the time..... That being said, when the lambda's are not broken, they work well (apart from turnoff issue).

We haven't had a single problem with our two 150mw Lasercenturies....
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

I'm not sure if this is a fair review of Lambda Pro, especially since you prop up Laser Centuries units at the end of the review - which you clearly sell on eBay.

Anyone with questions on Lambda Pro units, feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Adrian @ www.alltech-solutions.net

Quote Originally Posted by AlltechSolutions
    I'm not sure if this is a fair review of Lambda Pro, especially since you prop up Laser Centuries units at the end of the review - which you clearly sell on eBay.

Anyone with questions on Lambda Pro units, feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Adrian, Dont assume politics.

I had a lambda pro also. Emphasis on had. It was returned twice and I finally sold it off for a hell of a lot less than it cost me originally.

Its modulation depth and ability was lacking and would mode hop terribly. My understanding from looking at the circuit is that the TEC would freak out. The TEC circuit and the Laser diode driver were electrically linked together without regard for the 2k thermistor.

I will give you that my experience was 18 months ago, but it is still valid.

Feel free to submit a newer revision, if there is one, for review here if you are so inclined.

Adrian,

Fair point - we do sell the Laser Century units on our eBay store. That is because we are very happy with their reliability, and would much prefer to sell units that we know are reliable, as opposed to ones that could foreseeably create many headaches for us down the line.

I will also add that our dealings with Alltech Solutions in the past have been positive - Adrian you were always quick and happy to respond to questions and were one of the quicker laser drop shippers on eBay...

My opinions are based on our expereience as an end user, not a reseller. I like to consider myself an honest part of the PL community, here because of my love of lasershows, not here because I also happen to sell laser parts on the net. Which is clearly NOT why you have graced us with your presence.

Spec - I will leave it up to you, to decide if my review is fair or biassed - feel free to rip this thread down if you think it necessary....

Regards,

Aijii
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Hi Spec,

I wasn't assuming anything, its just tough to have a fair, unbiased review, when the reviewer sells a competiting product - it's like Ford reviewing GM cars.

It's also the same reason we cannot post a fair review on Lambda Pro, since we are obviously biased toward their product.

With respect to your unit, where did you originally purchase it from and who did you go through for service?

Aijii,

Thanks for the kind words about your dealings with us - I did not mean to offend you with the previous reply, I just wanted to point out that there may be biases in the review.

You are correct, I will probably not be a major contributor to these forums (for lack of time...), I was only alerted to them by some customers who mentioned we were discussed on here, and I just dropped by to see the threads.

Thanks,